Lions Head Maple

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I found this Lions Head maple at a nursery. The pocketknife in the picture is 4.25 inches long for some scale. I was thinking that a trunk chop a little above that lowest branch, and using it for the new leader might not be a bad idea. When repotting it could be planted at an angle that would compliment the new leader. This would be after air layering off a few branches to get a couple more trees. Does this sound like a reasonable course of action? Or should I walk away from this one?

Attachments

• 811B84E9-0753-4E17-A269-29E3C88E8121.jpeg
    811B84E9-0753-4E17-A269-29E3C88E8121.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 115

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Looks pretty straight and bland. But who knows what’s buried.

maybe purchase to use as a mother plant for propagation.

I’m not really a fan of green barked maples.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Without seeing the roots it is hard to guess how much more trunk there is and whether the roots would allow tilting the trunk easily. Of course anything is possible given enough time and technique.

JM are not really fast developing trees and Shishigashira is slower than many standard types so don't underestimate the years it will take to convert a trunk like this into showable bonsai.
Layers are possible and may even yield better stock than the main trunk.
The final choice lies with you. Many would climb over you to get a tree like this but as many more would step aside and let you take it.
What price?
Too many unknowns for me to pass considered judgement.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I found this Lions Head maple at a nursery [...] Or should I walk away from this one?

It would worry me that the graft is not visible. It looks like the other trees in the picture are also too deep.

Air layering branches to create pre-bonsai (like the attached examples) might be the most worthwhile option for a tree like this.

There are many pre-bonsai nurseries in British Columbia and in Canada more generally working hard to provide hobbyists with material that is meant for bonsai: good roots, good shape, good branching, etc. which will save you time and have the possibility of being a much better tree.

Here are some options to consider:

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    281 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.png
    2.png
    239.8 KB · Views: 86

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the feedback guys. Very much appreciated. I’m going to pass on this one.

@Canada Bonsai, I can’t believe with all the googling on bonsai I did over the last few months that I hadn’t found your website. I had a good long look, and was wishing I had found it sooner. 😊 When in the spring approximately would you be getting more stock?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't see anything there appealing. I would pass.

Top Bottom