Liquid Amber

Erndogy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Liquidambar

I picked up this Liquidambar at this years Winter Silhouettes show. I did a partial defoliation almost three weeks ago to get light into the interior. I hardly touched any branches..

Lamber2.jpgLamber3.jpgLamber4.jpgLamber5.jpgLamber6.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ernie

PS: Sorry for the crappy pics. I can take pretty decent pictures of people and other objects but I'm finding it is pretty difficult to make decent tree pics.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would be easier for people to find this thread in the future if you change the title to include the correct spelling: liquidambar.

Is this the American species (L. styraciflua)? How large is this tree? What are your plans for the future? I like this species and have a couple that I'm experimenting with.

Chris

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
1. FYI - It is one word: "Liquidambar," the name of the genus. There are only a few species: L styraciflua (the North American version) and L. formosana (the Oriental version) are most common. Common name: sweetgum. Yours looks to be the NA version. A fairly tough tree to turn into good bonsai, but definitely possible. Yours has good possibilities.

Tree photos are much easier if taken with sun at your back and against a plain-colored background.

Erndogy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It would be easier for people to find this thread in the future if you change the title to include the correct spelling: liquidambar.

Is this the American species (L. styraciflua)? How large is this tree? What are your plans for the future? I like this species and have a couple that I'm experimenting with.

Chris

1. FYI - It is one word: "Liquidambar," the name of the genus. There are only a few species: L styraciflua (the North American version) and L. formosana (the Oriental version) are most common. Common name: sweetgum. Yours looks to be the NA version. A fairly tough tree to turn into good bonsai, but definitely possible. Yours has good possibilities.

Tree photos are much easier if taken with sun at your back and against a plain-colored background.

Thanks for the correction and the photography advise. I was going to call the thread "Sweetgum"

This tree is the L orientalis variety. I have a L styraciflua in the front yard by the street and the leaves are different...

Ernie

Top Bottom