Liquidambar orientalis - SweetGum

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The batch from the last round of trimming are still sitting in the shade somewhere around here. I didn't bother to start any more this time.
How old were the cuttings in the pic? I'm interested in getting one if they're still as robust as they looked. Any chance of that happening?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd also be super interested in a rooted cutting if you've got em. It's extremely difficult to find sweet gum where I live.

Aaron

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those aren't the same thing as a tree cutting, I don't know if shipping a cutting would survive coast to coast in an upright Handle With Care "Fragile" container or what the expense would be.

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
may be a stupid question - but are these cold hardy? we have sweetgums growing locally but a different variety and i was thinking these dont tolerate freezing for some reason.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
are these cold hardy?

Not really.

I tend to disagree with "gunstock": when established in the ground, they can't survive temps lower than 10-12°C

When potted, they can probably stand a few days below 5°C, but they are likely to die if the temps last over a week or go below. But in the warmest parts of California where oranges, or even almonds can mature), it should be "hardy" :cool:

I live in zone 8, I used to have a small one...

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not really.

I tend to disagree with "gunstock": when established in the ground, they can't survive temps lower than 10-12°C

When potted, they can probably stand a few days below 5°C, but they are likely to die if the temps last over a week or go below. But in the warmest parts of California where oranges, or even almonds can mature), it should be "hardy" :cool:

thats what i was thinking..... thanks

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not really.

So what's the disagreement about "Sweetgum is one of the most common hardwoods in the southeastern United States, where it occurs naturally at low to moderate altitudes from southwestern Connecticut south to central Florida, and west to Illinois, southern Missouri, and eastern Texas, but not colder areas of Appalachia or the Midwestern states" all I'm saying is it's a a deciduous tree in the genus Liquidambar native to warm temperate areas of eastern NorthAmerica ornamental in temperate states, that's all. And that's -21° not 10-12°

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i think the disagreement is this:
versus
Well, if the only difference is the genus and the location of each, and Liquidambar orientalis is growing in zone 9b not Turkey, Greece: Rhodes what's the difference?wait so the climates are warmer than my zone so I get it now.

Last edited:

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How old were the cuttings in the pic? I'm interested in getting one if they're still as robust as they looked. Any chance of that happening?
They are zero days old in that picture I shared about a month-and-a-half ago - they look green and vigorous because I just cut them off the tree. If any take and survive I will be keeping them.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well, if the only difference is the genus and the location of each, and Liquidambar orientalis is growing in zone 9b not Turkey, Greece: Rhodes what's the difference?wait so the climates are warmer than my zone so I get it now.
Not sure exactly what you're saying here. They are two completely different species from the same genus (just like a trident and a Japanese maple are two different species in the genus Acer). My tree, orientalis, comes from a Mediterranean climate and likes Southern California just fine. It is almost certainly not as cold hardy as the North American species, styraciflua.

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure exactly what you're saying here. They are two completely different species from the same genus (just like a trident and a Japanese maple are two different species in the genus Acer). My tree, orientalis, comes from a Mediterranean climate and likes Southern California just fine. It is almost certainly not as cold hardy as the North American species, styraciflua.
I know that now, didn't know it before. Sorry !

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I know that now, didn't know it before.

As someone wrote in another thread about rhododendrons, the area in which they were grown first perhaps gives them more hardiness than the ones that are imported, or grown in much warmer climate. For instance, I have Chinese elms from cuttings that are very thin, yet they can survive winter with no problem (as long as the roots are protected under a layer of dried leaves), but a much bigger one that I got from a tree nursery that imports trees from China (subtropical climate) didn't survive the first winter because it didn't have time to adapt to the local climate.

Keep your fingers crossed, it would be a pity to lose such a promissing tree.

Top Bottom