Liquidambar - Sweet Gum Chop: Any advice?

KKBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi guys! Any advice here. Ideally I'd like it a little bit shorter. Would I ruin it by chopping it right to the bottom branch?

IMG_20200922_120230.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is liquidamber. You can cut right to the ground and it will still send up new shoots from the roots. Leave a little stem above your branch just so you don't damage the sap flow. Prune back closer after a few weeks when the branch has started to grow properly.

KKBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the spelling. Yeah I'm definitely going to go ahead and chop it at that branch. I will follow your advice. Thanks

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Is it Liquidambar styraciflua, Liquidambar formosana, or Liquidambar orientalis ?...

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Do you know any features that differentiate between the 3 species @AlainK ? I've never been able to work out which are which.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm not sure, here we only have L. styraciflua, many of them planted as street trees.

I have one L. formosana seedling planted this spring (thanks Michàl from IRL !) but it's still too small to make the difference. I think one of the main differences is the bark : L. styraciflua has a coarse bark, almost a cork bark, whereas L. formosana seems to have a smoother bark. L. orientalis (never seen any here) is said to have smaller leaves.

But I'm pretty sure there are posts about sweetgum/liquidamber/Liquidambar on the site...

Top Bottom