List of Hardwood Cuttings

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As I am getting ready to take hardwood cutting over the next couple of weeks I thought it might be a good idea if all of us plant propagators shared experience / knowledge of plants we have rooted from hardwood dormant cuttings. We probably all have Dirr, but our experiences are likely varied. I will throw out a few to get us started. These are all easy peezy.
All Willows
Butterfly Bush
Beauty Berry (callicarpa)
Dawn Redwood
Wisteria
Crepe Myrtle
Red Twig Dogwood
Kerria

Then there are a few that sometimes work for me and sometimes not
Elm
Japanese Maple ( only Bloodggod so far)
Lilac

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Gave away a ficus benjamina cutting from my work tree to a colleague the other day. Seemed to be doing well, but she claims to have a black thumb.

I've been keeping curl leaf mountain mahogany - cercoparpus ledifolius- cuttings in the fridge from my very first air layer attempt. I'll be starting those soon, and updating that thread.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Most Willows- Salix except Salix caprea
Lonicera
Ligustrum
Cornus
Rosa
Tamarix
Fuchsia
Prunus
Parthenocissus
Populus
Sambucus
Vitis
etc - how many more do you want to try ?!:)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Almost anything will root from hard wood cuttings.

Azalea is another one I regularly strike from hardened wood.
Dawn redwood
Callistemon
Melaleuca
Leptospermum
protea
Banksia
any prunus, including P. mume
Apples, including many crabs

Most will also strike from semi-hard wood or softer shoots. It is not usually a case of either/or rather what conditions you have and when you can get propagation material.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks all but I think you need to zero it in a bit. A lot of those mentioned are only going to root under very specific conditions and even then are challenging at best. And some of the genus listed are too broad. For instance Cornus, of which a few will root and most will not. And Prunus, the same. If I am wrong show me. What is of help here to members is to list plants that you have rooted rather than plants you have read about or heard about. Peculiars and tips are helpful as are real life experiences. For instance; I was pruning a Chinese elm prior to bud break last year and I took a few cuttings none of which rooted, but one cutting that I took at the same time and simply stuck in the ground is a healthy well rooted tree today.
But this in general is a pretty good list already and I thank you for getting on board. It is appreciated.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven’t personally had much success with cuttings in mid late winter or spring. I have never rooted cornus but I did buy some cornus from a guy who rooted them. He did early fall late summer cuttings. I find those times to work more universally better for hardwood cuttings. Along with early winter. It seems that the roots will start growing in spring so there is a whole growing season of root growth.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I have done with Japanese Maples but not a high success rate. I did not give them any care at all though, just stuck in a tray in the winter. Only a few took.

I finally got two heat pads this year and are trying some inside. No idea if it will work but I wanted to prune some while I wired. I would have thrown them away anyway and wanted to try some indoor propagation with bottom heat, mainly for hard to root species like zushio pines, persimmon, etc...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven’t personally had much success with cuttings in mid late winter or spring. I have never rooted cornus but I did buy some cornus from a guy who rooted them. He did early fall late summer cuttings. I find those times to work more universally better for hardwood cuttings. Along with early winter. It seems that the roots will start growing in spring so there is a whole growing season of root growth.
A good reminder that for many plants timing is everything. There are indeed some plants that do better from fall cuttings stored properly and stuck in spring. Dawn Redwood is one of those and there are lots of others.
There are plants that do better stuck in fall, like junipers.
There are actually many more that do best after several hard freezes and many that do best very late winter and into spring like Crepe Myrtle.
I have done with Japanese Maples but not a high success rate. I did not give them any care at all though, just stuck in a tray in the winter. Only a few took.

I finally got two heat pads this year and are trying some inside. No idea if it will work but I wanted to prune some while I wired. I would have thrown them away anyway and wanted to try some indoor propagation with bottom heat, mainly for hard to root species like zushio pines, persimmon, etc...
Bottom heat nearly always increases percentages of takes in my limited experience.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I should fill in details for the edible figs. I took cuttings in late February with at least three nodes, two nodes below soil surface and one above. Cuttings were treated with rooting hormone powder (common brand) and the media was NAPA 8822. Cuttings were watered once, then put in closed transparent container and kept warm. Bottom heat probably would help, but I didn't have a mat. All 10 cuttings rooted. These were the very hardy cultivar 'Texas Everbearing', a.k.a. 'Brown Turkey'.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've not had any success with any elms, though I've only tried a couple.

On my cercocarpus ledafolius, I attempted several cuttings when I separated and cut back the air layer. I didn't have any rooting hormone at the time, so none used, and the cuttings were a selection of softwood, semi-hardwood and hardwood. All failed.
As soon as I can get an appropriate container I'll be trying the sticks I have wintered in my fridge, see if that makes a difference. They're all still green under the surface bark, but I have had to wipe some mold away. I also have rooting hormone this time, so I'll try some with and without.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the spirit of only talking about the things one has actually accomplished. I have only tried a few types with hardwood cuttings. Most that I wish to propagate are simply easier with other methods. I only attempt hardwood cuttings if other methods hold little promise for those particular cultivars
Variables are important with specific cultivars according to all the research and most of the research focuses on commercial crops not desirable Bonsai cultivars. So we are left to experiment with the knowledge passed on from research.
Hardwood cuttings struck successfully over the past five years consistently! Small list.

Prunus mume " Kobai"
Prunus Mume " Matsubara Red"
Previously successful experience with " Engleman" and " Ezo" spruce.

Working on JWP cultivars beginning this year.
" Arakawa"
"Aoi" ( both showing promise in early stages of development as in bud swelling and candle extension)

One common factor is that I prefer " cultivars" on their own roots if possible. This plays a role in the ones I choose to experiment with. Appreciate the information available from those who tested the waters earlier.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Zelkova : I did some cuttings from twigs, 2 or 3 year-old ones. In early February a few years ago. I put the pot next to a window in my garage (10-13° C all the time) and more than half rooted.

Another year, I put a 50 cm branch, as big as my pinky (about half an inch), into a flower pot that still had soil in it. In February as well. It rooted! It was a very mild end of winter, with only a couple of nights with temps slightly below zero.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zelkova : I did some cuttings from twigs, 2 or 3 year-old ones. In early February a few years ago. I put the pot next to a window in my garage (10-13° C all the time) and more than half rooted.

Another year, I put a 50 cm branch, as big as my pinky (about half an inch), into a flower pot that still had soil in it. In February as well. It rooted! It was a very mild end of winter, with only a couple of nights with temps slightly below zero.
That's great. It hadn't occurred to me. Your timing of this post is perfect. Thank you.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Working on JWP cultivars beginning this year.
I think it is safe to say the experiment is working and I can add JWP to my list of successful cuttings. The buds are extending and needles beginning to form.
JWP "Arakawa" cultivar, a group of " Aoi" JWP cuttings are also looking positive but not as advanced as the "Arakawa". I did start them several weeks later.
If you look closely the photo below shows the progress, no more tight red buds. Hiding on the left side see the strange one with leaves. That is a "Kobai"
cultivar cutting of Prunus Mume. Had six or seven that needed to fit somewhere. The other flat was full. They show leaves quickly but not necessarily roots quickly. Patience is needed.

IMG_1641.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't see pomegranate here. Very easy to propagate from hardwood cuttings. I don't have any good advice about timing or cutting size - it seems that any time I still a pomegranate cutting in soil it roots!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Any species of fig/ficus root well from hardwood cuttings in both soil and water.

Top Bottom