Literati... at least that's what it used to be...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So... what would you do with this tree? In my opinion there are many challenges with it; the trunk has gotten too thick and there are numerous trunk flaws (ugly straight sections, reverse taper, etc). The design of the tree needs to be completely rethought. Where would you take it?

free1.jpg

free2.jpg

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
This tree isn't that bad really.... We see this type for trunk issues on lodgepoles all the time, the slight reverse taper, etc...

If it were my tree I wouldn't have lime sulphered the top shari, to me that draws attention big time the trunks faults. I would also move the foliage to the left to cover the reverse taper...

Uh-oh...the baby is crying gotta run!

Attachments

• free1[1].jpg
    free1[1].jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 58

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
How bendable is the trunk? Adding some movement to the straight portions of the trunk would be nice, as would losing the 90 degree bend at the top where the 2 straight portions meet. I think if you could pull the canopy straight down with a guy wire, making the 90 degree angle more severe, the straight portions of trunk wouldn't be as obvious. I'd also consider thinning out the foliage (much too heavy for literati) and create some pads.

Dave

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think they created the shari as an artistic element to add interest to the trunk, and then when it scarred up it thickened the trunk and created a nasty reverse taper. Like some of you have said it certainly has far too much foilage - it needs to be reduced and refined - and personally I would move the foilage as far towards the tip as possible giving the trunk more length (and therefore lightening the entire tree).

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would straighten the top bend and work the shari to the bottom carving out the reverse taper. The foliage reduction is also a no brainer. This tree has potential and in skillful hands could be quite nice.

By straightening the top bend, the severe right angle bend adds a tremendous amount of drama.

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Here's my take on this tree.

Mike

Attachments

• bnutbunjin.jpg
    bnutbunjin.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 57

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Is this ugly enough to make you feel better............

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• free1.JPG
    free1.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 35

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I like the second view also. Maybe reduce the foliage to 2-3 defined pads. And then name the tree "The Riddler".

Paul

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would change the planting angle then try to open up the space inside the bend a bit then try to twist the foliage to the inside and cover the inverse taper up with a cleaned up foliage pad.

Attachments

• free2.jpg
    free2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom