Literati books out there worth recognition

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Though the internet is great...I would love book that touches deeply on the subject bunjin/literati. Can any think of a few that fits the bill. Nothing like a good book...to curl up with on a brisk cold day. Those days seem closer in the future. With the furnace kicking on again.

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I can't think of any book that is devoted to literati bonsai. Most books touch upon the subject. Koreshoff has several pages ith good information, as does Naka' Bonsai Techniques One.

Magazines have occasional articles. International Bonsai has devoted the occasional issue to the subject. Ask Bill Valavanis after he's recovered from his National Show of last weekend.

Literati really isn't "teachable." It is too abstract -- the MOST difficult subject to do even fairly well.

Here is MY favorite (and close to my favorite bonsai!) -- from the North Carolina Arboretum -- a Juniperus virginiana that is better than 3 feet tall:

Attachments

• RED_CEDA.JPG
    RED_CEDA.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not to be a cop or anything but it is "bunjin" I believe.

Darlene you mention the 3 hardest styles in your threads- windswept, cascade and bunjin. If you skip the basics you will have 10x the trouble succeeding with these styles. Just a little free advice.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not to be a cop or anything but it is "bunjin" I believe.

Darlene you mention the 3 hardest styles in your threads- windswept, cascade and bunjin. If you skip the basics you will have 10x the trouble succeeding with these styles. Just a little free advice.

Appreciate the advice...it was told to me to research literati/bunjin for that hemlock I own...study a year on the ins and outs. Don't plan on attempting it...other than getting an understanding of it for later to come.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can't think of any book that is devoted to literati bonsai. Most books touch upon the subject. Koreshoff has several pages ith good information, as does Naka' Bonsai Techniques One.

Magazines have occasional articles. International Bonsai has devoted the occasional issue to the subject. Ask Bill Valavanis after he's recovered from his National Show of last weekend.

Literati really isn't "teachable." It is too abstract -- the MOST difficult subject to do even fairly well.

Here is MY favorite (and close to my favorite bonsai!) -- from the North Carolina Arboretum -- a Juniperus virginiana that is better than 3 feet tall:

Thanks...I'll let him come up for a breather...then ask. But you gave some good advice. Thanks!

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Not a book but some of the best IMHO writing on the deeper meaning of bonsai (and life) including bunjin. He's in his usual self-effacing mode being a Brit. Apologising for being a bit dour, but not really.;)

http://tinyurl.com/pac8zfz

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I often go back to John Naka's books for guidance and inspiration. He has many pages on bunjin. And yes true bunjin is difficult and inspiring in an often spiritual way.

Of interest I found the following on The Art of Bonsai website http://www.artofbonsai.org/feature_articles/literati.php

The word Literati is used by many practitioners and is a Latin name originally attributed to the Japanese Bunjin due to the lack of an exact English equivalent. Bunjin is in turn a translation of the Chinese Wenjen, the word used in Chinese to denote those scholars who were practiced in the arts.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I have lots of books but none of them go into much detail about Bunjin/Literati (for our purposes I believe these terms are interchangeable). The best resources are pictures. Go through some Kokufu books, and one of my favorite issues of Bonsai Today #69. That should point you in the right direction. As mentioned earlier it's one of the more difficult styles, but one that can be achieved with a little inspiration and some very good wiring.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have seen the tree in the pic above in person at the Carolina arboretum. It is nice, but for me, since their is little so little foliage in literati I think the movement of the trunk is most important.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have seen the tree in the pic above in person at the Carolina arboretum. It is nice, but for me, since their is little so little foliage in literati I think the movement of the trunk is most important.

I feel the same way actually...just not sure what movement I can bring to the table with the free hemlock. If I chop it I need to run a long chop to taper the area so it's gradual...maybe making shari along with it...to make it seem...more natural. This is why I wanted to study and learn what was acceptable. So I go the right route with it.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Darlene,
As others have told you, bending significant movement is possible in a conifer like your free Hemi.
Although yours is an eastern variety you should be able to get some movement in it BUT it will take skill and lots of patience/time for it to set.
We've all seen examples of bunjin with extreme movement while others have a more gradual movement so you should be able to at least achieve the latter.
As an example to show you what's possible, I've posted photos to show you how I got movement in a Mountain Hemi back in 2008 and one of it today....each year I've tried to continue bending the main trunk and after 6 years the bend has finally held its shape :).
I hope you can revive your freebie Hemi next spring and that it brings you much joy.
Cheers
Graham

Attachments

• Hm August08021.jpg
    Hm August08021.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP0919_edited.jpg
    IMGP0919_edited.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 45
  • MtnTopHm.jpg
    MtnTopHm.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 46

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

There is quite a bit o subtle movement in that trunk; almost impossible to show it in a 2-D photo. The THE most important part of the literati (according to Koreshoff -- and I tend to agree) is the base.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Darlene,
As others have told you, bending significant movement is possible in a conifer like your free Hemi.
Although yours is an eastern variety you should be able to get some movement in it BUT it will take skill and lots of patience/time for it to set.
We've all seen examples of bunjin with extreme movement while others have a more gradual movement so you should be able to at least achieve the latter.
As an example to show you what's possible, I've posted photos to show you how I got movement in a Mountain Hemi back in 2008 and one of it today....each year I've tried to continue bending the main trunk and after 6 years the bend has finally held its shape :).
I hope you can revive your freebie Hemi next spring and that it brings you much joy.
Cheers
Graham

HOW COULD I FORGET THAT TREE AROUND THE ROCK!?! Graham...I was in awe of it...simply amazing actually!

Um-mmm mine is a Western Hemlock is what the nursery guy said...could he have missed it's mark?

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was in a workshop with peter tea a couple of weeks ago and we were bending 2 inch pondy's branches incredible distances. We wrapped them in this hard plastic material he brought instead of raffia, just because it was easier than raffia. Then we wired the branches with #4 copper wire. We then used guide wires to hold the bends in place. We would take turns trying to bend one branch while someone else tightened the wire. We were putting everything we had in strength to do it. We are not old we were all in our 30's. I was amazed what with proper protection of the branch could be done. We could have went further if we would have brought branch bender jacks. It was a real education.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Found me a "very good" hardback with slight wear to the dust jacket of Koreshoff's at a book store. Ordered it...

Trying to decide about Naka's books...there is the original hardcover...or soft cover volume one. They go for A LOT of money if in pristine condition...if I care if it's been used and shows it...or I want to try for a more pristine book. That is something I need to decide. I am a book person...I have taught my kids to respect books...to the point my youngest in 8th grade can't bring hisself to allow ones to sign his school year book. (A bit extreme) I think I can handle gently used.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
HMPH. I think my copy of Naka I must have had 8 owners, each of whom did his or her own notations. They are interesting, if not always useful. :rolleyes:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you can wait a year until it is published, this looks promising: http://www.amazon.com/Literati-Styl...e=UTF8&qid=1411231699&sr=1-6&keywords=penjing

OH WOW! Thanks! I have his book "Penjing:TheChinese Art Of Bonsai" that I really enjoy. That sure is to be a good coffee table book as well. Might just have to preorder this one. :cool: Since most just touch on the topic...and this one is a book of just that. Kudos to finding it! I looked at books for literati...not sure why I didn't see it come up. But, never the less...I do appreciate the link!

Top Bottom