Literati hornbeam

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
I bought this tree from Dana Quattlebaum last year. Got it into a lovely pot from Adam Ross and did some rough styling this spring.

I am not confident I can pull this design off. But I figure if I botch if I will just execute a trunk chop and start from scratch with the sweet base 🤷

Attachments

• IMG_20200415_142541.jpg
    IMG_20200415_142541.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20200415_142541~4.jpg
    IMG_20200415_142541~4.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 115

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your virt looks more like an informal upright than a bunjin. Names aside, looks like a good plan

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Your virt looks more like an informal upright than a bunjin. Names aside, looks like a good plan
Thank you. I am going for a very tall, slender, elegant look.

I am debating nixing one or both of those bottom branches, and dropping the next two further. Maybe then it would qualify as bunjin?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you. I am going for a very tall, slender, elegant look.

I am debating nixing one or both of those bottom branches, and dropping the next two further. Maybe then it would qualify as bunjin?
Bunjin is not just a tall, slender tree, although they are. Bunjin must represent the struggle for survival, while its form is usually more abstract, as it is related to the practice of Chinese and Japanese calligraphy (hence the name "literati" as in China it was usually the Mandarins, called literati by the Italian Jesuits in the 17th century, the ones who practiced calligraphy). I think your tree can make a great informal upright. I am not sure that trunk lends itself too much to the literaty style. But I might be wrong!

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Spring update. This tree grew very well last year and I was able to wire and trim several times. I also made good progress on developing the apex.

PXL_20210312_193608410.jpg

Comments are welcome. I'll ditch the "literati" term but I am aiming for an elegant, slender, tall tree.

Top Bottom