Literati Prunus Mume?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Little overgrown, after flowering a big cutback is planned! I foresee a nicer pot

View attachment 453483
@leatherback any truth in the branch/growing tips needing to be pointed up for best health? Ryan Neil has said Ume branches need to be pointed up at the ends or they can die.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was genuinely asking for my own knowledge, not to question what you’ve done. I’m very new to Ume growing so am trying to learn what works and what doesn’t
I understand. But who am I to contradict him?
I wired the branches down, because I see no risk there.

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
I agree ,too tall especially since the upper trunk diamter shows no taper ,has 2 non attractive abrupt bends and keeps the diameter the same too long. Pot size looks fine but Im not a fan on the earhty color for this tree.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have any problem with this pot for this tree in its current state of development. You have the pot so you may as well use it.

LAS

Yamadori
Reaction score
@leatherback I have a small mume that I need to grow out and i cant decide if I should put it in a 10 gallon container with regular soil or a standard bonsai soil. My climate wont allow planting in the ground. Any advice here?

LAS

Yamadori
Reaction score
I missed this thread when it was posted, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Looks like you had success doing both a chop and repot at the same time.

The good thing about the ones in my grow bed is that they were grown in a colander for a year prior to planting them in the grow bed. So, they *should* still have roots close to the trunk to make for easy collection.

This is a picture of one of them from last spring. It has grown substantially this year
@JoeR are your grow beds filled with standard bonsai soil or a different mix?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@leatherback I have a small mume that I need to grow out and i cant decide if I should put it in a 10 gallon container with regular soil or a standard bonsai soil. My climate wont allow planting in the ground. Any advice here?
Maybe post your question in a new thread, to avoid mixing things up here?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@JoeR are your grow beds filled with standard bonsai soil or a different mix?
I wish! That would be super expensive though. Leftover/used bonsai soil, mostly dirt from other projects around the yard, couple bags of topsoil, and aged manure from our chicken coop. Not sure what I did right but the plants seem to love it.

Reactions: LAS
Top Bottom