Literati Satsuki

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I picked this Azalea Satsuki for Independence Day at NEBG. For a satsuki, it has sparse growth pattern and the branches are fairly flexible. I like the current front (pic #1) but there's a few of my observations:

1) The branches need to be reworked. The largest branches are at top so those will need to be reduced.
2) The lowest branch is very small but probably can be discarded since it's too low. I'm not sure where the first branch should be
3) I like the slender and tall trunk so going with what's already here, I think a literati style would suit this tree.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Specs:
Height - 28 inches
Nebari - 3.5 inches
Trunk - 1.5 inches

Pic #1,2
IMAG1458-001.jpg IMAG1459-001.jpg

Pic# 3, 4
IMAG1460-001.jpg IMAG1461-001.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks like- for a Literati- you might consider removing the first THREE or more branches, and then wire the remaining ones down to similar angles, prune the long runners back to get get it to thicken up the pads closer to the trunk... Get the foliage nice and tight, fertilize the hell out of it, and enjoy the show!

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about a shot from above.
Be sure to put something in front
of it so that direction is identified.
And how about one part way
between Pic #1 & Pic #2

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the feminine aspect of this tree, but don't think that it needs to be a literati. Most satsuki are grown mostly for the flowering of the tree, so to take off most of that seems wrong (to me). I think you can make a lovely feminine flowering tree just by developing what you have with the tree already, and get the best outcome for the tree you bought. It is a nice tree with good potential.

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
I humbly agree with Judy. To me, this tree, as is, has a winsome quality. There is that ubiquitous "S" curving, but it is elongated and thus more pleasing to me
Literati would prove too stark, I suspect, and focus on that curve more. It shows most in pic #3.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No literati here!

Azalea has a style with a sinuous, rather thin trunk, but with lots of movement, with relatively short branches on the outside of the curves.

Your tree fits this style perfectly. It just needs some cutting back, and NOW is the perfect time for it!

Azalea bud back very well, So be brave! And cut back.

Another trick is to remove the flower buds. Once they start to put on flower buds, they stop growing. By removing the flower buds, and they will be tiny, you will stimulate a new set of budding and growth and ramification. The new growth will produce new flower buds for next year's flowers.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I tried to link to some images on Google that had similar trunks to this one. No luck. Just Google "azalea bonsai" and choose "images".

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Azaleas can look nice in a literati style! Here's mine, it's a smaller literati with a mother daughter style going on as well. I've worked on some taller literati satsukis and they make great looking bonsai. Adair is right, you don't have to make a literati with this one, but you probably could if you wanted to! If you do cut it back like he suggested, make sure it stays humid and misted afterwards.

Andrew

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 65

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't be one to say don't make it a literati.

I'd cut all but the low ones back to one branch and see what happens.

Friggin base is excellent, definitely worth working into something nice.

Sorce

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks everyone for their comments. I'm going to leave it alone for this year. I've had issues overwintering azaleas, so I want to make sure it does well going into next spring.

I do like the idea of not making it a literati. I tried googling images for thin/sinuous azalea but it's hard to make out the trunk line since they were in flower. I'll have to do more searching for better pictures.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a normal way to style a satsuki. Donno why you are worried about it and want to give it all up to make a ponpon on a stick out of it.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the tree, but i don't like literati.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Azaleas can look nice in a literati style! Here's mine, it's a smaller literati with a mother daughter style going on as well. I've worked on some taller literati satsukis and they make great looking bonsai. Adair is right, you don't have to make a literati with this one, but you probably could if you wanted to! If you do cut it back like he suggested, make sure it stays humid and misted afterwards.

Andrew
Andrew, this doesn't read literati to me. Literati (most of the time) has less foliage, especially low on the trunk. Call it what you wish, but to me this is more Mother/Daughter than literati.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have a little azalea that i much like yours. It stands about 7 inches tall. Has been in a pot for about 10 years now. I have never considered it to be a literati; just a light, feminine tree.

Attachments

• 3-12  small 2.JPG
    3-12 small 2.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 40

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks everyone for their comments. I'm going to leave it alone for this year. I've had issues overwintering azaleas, so I want to make sure it does well going into next spring.

I do like the idea of not making it a literati. I tried googling images for thin/sinuous azalea but it's hard to make out the trunk line since they were in flower. I'll have to do more searching for better pictures.
I've got to ask how you are going to overwinter this tree. I never bothered owning a satsuki until I moved south...I was always under the impression they required exceptional winter protection in the Boston area.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got to ask how you are going to overwinter this tree. I never bothered owning a satsuki until I moved south...I was always under the impression they required exceptional winter protection in the Boston area.

I keep all of my trees inside an unheated garage. It seems like an ideal place for wintering bonsai in general as the garage is warmer when it's cold and cooler when it's warm. I have a window that I close/open to adjust the temperature that I try to keep it in the 30s but it definitely can't stay there if outside temps drops to low teens or below (which ironically has been happening up here in Boston).

I'm considering mulch grounding some of my trees this winter. I've actually meant to IM you about this when the time comes closer. ;)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I keep all of my trees inside an unheated garage. It seems like an ideal place for wintering bonsai in general as the garage is warmer when it's cold and cooler when it's warm. I have a window that I close/open to adjust the temperature that I try to keep it in the 30s but it definitely can't stay there if outside temps drops to low teens or below (which ironically has been happening up here in Boston).

I'm considering mulch grounding some of my trees this winter. I've actually meant to IM you about this when the time comes closer. ;)
Fwiw, I used to mulch my trees on the floor of my unattached garage. One winter, I used an indoor/outdoor thermometer to monitor the temps of these trees at the root zone and it stayed at 32 F the whole winter...something to think about.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fwiw, I used to mulch my trees on the floor of my unattached garage. One winter, I used an indoor/outdoor thermometer to monitor the temps of these trees at the root zone and it stayed at 32 F the whole winter...something to think about.
Really? Add mulch even though it's in a garage? That is something to thing about.

What about watering, how did you know when to water if the soil is covered in mulch?

Thanks.

Top Bottom