Literati Style Penjing - Shimpaku

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You have to update your Stricta junipers topics defra!! hehe
haha and many more threads need an update i am afraid Arnold i have been slacking.
i did not loose interest in bonsai and still have most of my projects going on but i had other prioritys and didnt realy feel like spending time on social media or on here but slowly some tree's started to wake up and i got plenty of work to do on my tree's so ill snap some pictures while at it and update them when work is done :)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
not just yet. A round of sorts. Maybe a nanban or a bag.
Found this shopping for myself. Shipping is too high.
Colour may be too red for you IDK, but it's toned down a lot from the one it's currently in as for reds.
Anyway I don't know the dimensions that fit. I just ordered a cascade pot from China off of Etsy free shipping.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found this shopping for myself. Shipping is too high.
Colour may be too red for you IDK, but it's toned down a lot from the one it's currently in as for reds.
Anyway I don't know the dimensions that fit. I just ordered a cascade pot from China off of Etsy free shipping.
Thanks dude! Yeah def that style, though I’m a year or two off before a transfer it to a pot. What I may do though is slip pot it into an Anderson flat, just to get the thing in prime health.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After a not great, not bad, but not great start to the season for this tree, things are really starting to hum. I had some brown tips all over the tree, but had also quite a few shoots of new growth and extensions.

I decided to do a repot into an Anderson flat with mostly pumice and really chopstick the substrate into the root system. this to really ensure proper oxygen flow to the roots. I think that has been a problem of mine with junipers in the past. Paired with a granular treatment in spring and a once monthly spray, the brownin and yellowing has stopped and it’s all new growth with extensive back budding in branches that suffered most.

I’m going through on this fine Burque summer evening and pulling wire that is biting into keeper branches. I still have plans on jinning quite a few lower branches and some intermittent up the trunk. Focused on health and extensions for now.
436967C3-5E68-4ADA-9D19-B38936536911.jpeg
81746B14-BB91-4FB1-B228-1653AB8A7C67.jpegAAF83F3A-9D12-47A4-AA48-0EF102A0D3E9.jpeg
A5AF0F78-138E-44DB-B0FC-F8B5A51A8464.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @Pitoon you had asked at one point what type of pot I envision for this tree. I have a few thoughts, but I’m curious what you think?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey @Pitoon you had asked at one point what type of pot I envision for this tree. I have a few thoughts, but I’m curious what you think?
I see this tree in a low dark unglazed square with the walls recurved at 60 degrees outwards and an exaggerated lip between 1" - 1.5".

What do you envision?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see this tree in a low dark unglazed square with the walls recurved at 60 degrees outwards and an exaggerated lip between 1" - 1.5".

What do you envision?
Initial thought was a well executed nanban. Tokaname of some sort. Next thought was also a recurved pot but in a hex shape. A bit more rounded, smooth and refined. Possibly with a subtle foot detail. I’ll post some pics of thoughts. I love your input Pitoon.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, cool find with these. I like your styling too.

Have you ever considered taking some of the other "long straight ones" and creating a small/medium Shimpaku forest? I wanted to try one years ago but found that it was too difficult to find the material.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, cool find with these. I like your styling too.

Have you ever considered taking some of the other "long straight ones" and creating a small/medium Shimpaku forest? I wanted to try one years ago but found that it was too difficult to find the material.
Thanks Matt! As a matter of fact I’m currently working on air layering quite a few branches/trunks on several others I have, with the intention of either creating a group planting or more individual plantings. I have five in the works right now.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are nice but I was referring to the curve going out verse going in like a bag pot.
I’d love to see an example if you wouldn’t mind! If you can find an image of what you were thinking at least.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’d love to see an example if you wouldn’t mind! If you can find an image of what you were thinking at least.
It was something that just came into my head when I relooked at your tree. The only way to show an image would be for me to make it and post it.

Top Bottom