Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The epitome of MA
I’ll bite, what’s MA?
Brian,
What is your thought process when choosing an accent plant?
Leonard
I am not the right guy to ask on this; I don’t enjoy accent plants much and it shows. Generally, accent pots compliment or contrast colors, use different shapes of from the main tree’s pot, plant texture that doesn’t conflict with the scale of the tree, and is usually something that suggests the season.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Brian,
Just came across this thread and found it very interesting. Would be great to see its progression today.
I did have a design question about cutting off the original apex. Did you consider bending it to continue the movement, or was it just a decision to reduce the tree overall?
I have a similar literati that I want Bjorn to help me with as well.
Regards,
Leonard
Hello beautiful!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ll bite, what’s MA?

I am not the right guy to ask on this; I don’t enjoy accent plants much and it shows. Generally, accent pots compliment or contrast colors, use different shapes of from the main tree’s pot, plant texture that doesn’t conflict with the scale of the tree, and is usually something that suggests the season.
Space

as in Toko no ma The ma is space
simple, room space around the objects.

I felt it instantly when I looked at the picture. We strive for that feeling in the Kazari.

This
IMG_2297 (2)1.JPG

versus this
IMG_2295 (2)1.JPG

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Brian, could you perhaps show us some details on the wiring? I have a hard time finding out how to wire needled junipers.
It looks like you wired the lignified/woody branches and let new foliage just grow, is that correct?

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Brian, could you perhaps show us some details on the wiring? I have a hard time finding out how to wire needled junipers.
It looks like you wired the lignified/woody branches and let new foliage just grow, is that correct?
Hello,

I know you did not ask me but there is a video from Bjorn Bjorholm from the old series he has on Youtube where he shows how he styles and wire needle junipers! Cant remember which episode..!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’ll take some shots of the wiring for you. Coincidentally, Bjorn was the last one to wire this when he was here a couple years ago!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ll take some shots of the wiring for you. Coincidentally, Bjorn was the last one to wire this when he was here a couple years ago!

I can’t believe I missed this thread! This is gorgeous piece of material (as usual) that is moved along in a better direction due to your work/means. I love all of your progressions, thank you for taking time out of your day so we can all drool on our keyboards!!! ?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brian,

I think you ought to remove or move that branch of green that’s showing between the two verticle sections of trunk. I think that style works best when all the foliage is used to make a little tree that’s “held out” away from the trunk(s).

Cool tree!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian,

I think you ought to remove or move that branch of green that’s showing between the two verticle sections of trunk. I think that style works best when all the foliage is used to make a little tree that’s “held out” away from the trunk(s).

Cool tree!
That is the plan, it is being reduced in phases.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, can you share how the pot selection was made for this pairing? Thank you
I looked at all the pots I had, and this one was the best fit, by size, shape and color. See one that would work better?
E8CD0BE3-975C-4395-9DD0-D3C4C5F48DDC.jpeg

Top Bottom