Literati?

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Someone gave me a Red Roselle (Hibiscus Sabdariffa) and I had a little fun with it. Is this considered literati?

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
do yourself something and put harder bends in the lower trunk. Dont even worry about wiring anything above the first 10 inches

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking about that. I’ve never done one before so I wasn’t sure if I should do it in stages. I did plan to bend the trunk, so I guess I will.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't like it. Here's why...

Literati is all about the line of the trunk. If you took the line of the trunk, and in Photoshop, just drew a black line on it... what would it say? It would look like a lazy loopy sad thing... that didn't really say anything. (I hope I am not being too harsh I am being totally open and not intending any slight or disrespect).

Instead, I would advise you to find your favorite literati tree online... and copy the line exactly. Style your tree thus, and ask - why does it work? What is it about the lines and proportions that gives it that emotional impact?

First thing I will say is that it is a rare tree in nature that grows in curves. So don't style your tree that way. Give it angles, which connotes stress and energy. Make it feel like a tree in nature that has been subjected to the elements. Think about it in your mind... and then style what you see. I have a feeling you won't see a curvy trunk (in your mind).

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't like it. Here's why...

Literati is all about the line of the trunk. If you took the line of the trunk, and in Photoshop, just drew a black line on it... what would it say? It would look like a lazy loopy sad thing... that didn't really say anything. (I hope I am not being too harsh I am being totally open and not intending any slight or disrespect).

Instead, I would advise you to find your favorite literati tree online... and copy the line exactly. Style your tree thus, and ask - why does it work? What is it about the lines and proportions that gives it that emotional impact?

First thing I will say is that it is a rare tree in nature that grows in curves. So don't style your tree that way. Give it angles, which connotes stress and energy. Make it feel like a tree in nature that has been subjected to the elements. Think about it in your mind... and then style what you see. I have a feeling you won't see a curvy trunk (in your mind).

Thanks. I have always enjoyed and welcomed constructive criticism. I am a total noob, literally starting less than three minutes this ago, so any advice and comments are absorbed and appreciated. I will say, the title of this thread came with a question mark, as did my post, wondering if it is literati. I just experimented with wiring, bending and such,

Good to know your thoughts, it really helps.

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool, and I don’t even know if this species will work. It was given to me as this incredibly tall, lanky piece of material and I couldn’t imagine any other style. I will work on it.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Literati is unusual for trees that aren't coniferous, that doesn't mean you can't try!

Here's what I think you should shoot for!

fd78d6154359cf134ec396dd61709a06.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
will say, the title of this thread came with a question mark, as did my post, wondering if it is literati. I just experimented with wiring, bending and such,

Good to know your thoughts, it really helps.

Careful! Your awesomeness is showing!

You're in a golden place of beginning with an open mind!

This is a wildly pretty tree!
Keep at it no matter what!

I would love to see this grown into a proper line with just a few flowers dotted at the top.

Literati? Not YET!
Just NOT YET!

Sorce

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Literati is unusual for trees that aren't coniferous, that doesn't mean you can't try!

Here's what I think you should shoot for!

fd78d6154359cf134ec396dd61709a06.jpg

I really like this tree. what kind of tree is this?

Top Bottom