Literati?

sleeperj74

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have had this Ficus benjamina for about 24 years. I was thinking about making it a literati and cutting off the top branch and keeping the cascading portion. I am curious of opinions.

Attachments

• 924D2955-215D-491E-A544-2A000AD7AF53.jpeg
    924D2955-215D-491E-A544-2A000AD7AF53.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 42
  • B2E302D8-22C1-4C77-8B75-B1005B282FBD.jpeg
    B2E302D8-22C1-4C77-8B75-B1005B282FBD.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 41

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Groovy!

Not a common choice for literati, but I feel "common" is overrated.
🤓
You have decent bones for developing one, here. (In my opinion)

Are you planning on pruning to that left branch (and developing your "top" from it), and altering the planting angle?

Your choice of the Japanese term, "literati" has the potential to draw "purists" and "nay-sayers"... So be prepared.

Where on this Marble are you located?... This will allow members to offer "more relevant" styling and timing advice.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
IMHO your tree appears to have enough health and vigor to make the attempt. I have heard several hobbyists make the claim that benjamina branches are subject to dieback if you bend them more at more than a 45 degree angle from the trunk line. That lower branch already seems to be defying that train of thought.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
IMHO your tree appears to have enough health and vigor to make the attempt. I have heard several hobbyists make the claim that benjamina branches are subject to dieback if you bend them more at more than a 45 degree angle from the trunk line. That lower branch already seems to be defying that train of thought.
I've heard this, too, but never experienced it firsthand.

Benjamina ARE kind of "in their own orbit" compared to other ficus.. but I've never, personally ran into that "beyond 45" issue.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've heard this, too, but never experienced it firsthand.

Benjamina ARE kind of "in their own orbit" compared to other ficus.. but I've never, personally ran into that "beyond 45" issue.
I've never truly tried to test the theory yet, I have one that's looking rough after the hurricane that I may experiment with. I have noticed that they will keep strong apical growth and the lower branches always seem weak and spindly.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
. I have noticed that they will keep strong apical growth and the lower branches always seem weak and spindly.
Indeed!

When I tried "pinching" those low, weak branches throughout the season (on one specimen).. they seemed to "keep up".. but I have no way to tell, for sure.

🤓

sleeperj74

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the responses. I live in Connecticut Zone 6b.

I definitely have had die back and broken branches from wiring, so it does limit some of what I can do. Over the past 24 years, the tree has changed styles as these two things have occurred.

I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to cut the bottom branch and keep the top. However, like I said, it isn't that interesting to me. I also thought about just going all in with cascade.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Spend a little time with a towel or some such covering up the section to be cut. Walk around it and view it from all angles. Might take a couple of sessions. Almost always works for me. If you get a " Well, maybe......not sure." hold off. If you get a "Yep, that branch needs to go." then go for it.

Top Bottom