Little corker

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seen this on Ebay,so went ahead and bought it.
About a 1” trunk and 3” high according to seller.
It would be nice if I could get into a bonsai pot now,but may have to wait. I read once that there is some leeway if you’re late with Elms on root pruning and potting.
Will be fun to grow the branches and make a little mini bonsai!
I thought it had a nice shape to it.
Here are photos from the Internet should be here by Friday
9966132C-268F-43BD-AD40-D60BD66999C1.pngB758542D-02C4-4886-864E-2939C775B46A.png

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah you guys are right I’ll just grow in that little pot that it’s in put some top dressing on it so it doesn’t dry out!
Thanks

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I especially like the cut off branch down at the base that makes it look bigger but I think it would transition into a nice branch too.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One of the great things about getting back into bonsai when you are old is that you have a lot more patience. I don't rush things like I used to and enjoy the process as much as the end result.

The good news is that if the repotting is timed right you should be able to be pretty aggressive. Work on branches this year, cut the roots back next spring and by the time summer of 2019 rolls around you will have a very nice looking tree. I have one that is about 8" tall that I hacked up pretty good this spring and it has shoots approaching a foot long! It looks kind of like a chia pet on steroids. Once I get a couple of hours I will work on the branches and post some pics.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice find! I love me a good eBay score. It takes a lot of effort to find the gems on there, but as you demonstrate it’s still possible to find them. Look forward to seeing what this becomes.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The anticipation builds!
Going to be a great tree in your hands.
Thanks,man.
I wanted some regular corticosa elm. By the looks of the leaves ,I believe that’s what it is.If it’s yatsubusa that’s OK but I’ve had them before. Yatsubusa have very funny leaves. I think I would like the growth habit of the standard corticosa better.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These are addictive it’s all I got for branch training right now I need something at the new home to call bonsai. So bought another. Somebody please visit George Muranaka’s eBay profile before he post another one !!!
Lol.
And if he post one....buy it....please!
This one looks pretty cool about the same size as the other one ......or wait!......the trunk base is 1 1/4”on this one lol:eek:
D71DF48B-EB1E-40F8-9D2C-E3F6BD316089.jpeg48118F80-0DF6-4167-A7D3-9EAC14AC6AC4.jpeg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im at work now but this arrived with A grade packing.Extremely pleased.
The tree is packed on an angle n the sturdy box so nothing gets squashed.
Will definately post on vendor experiance forum.
Here are pictures
87305C2B-D9D5-4089-8C09-925A47FE9C00.jpegAB670D9D-0A29-4444-A38D-76A5776A1771.jpeg1D6524A7-0D22-45AD-9957-1E19A31BEE3B.jpeg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lovely tree! Excited for you.
How do you winter your elms? Your zone 5 also correct?
Hi,Crizzi.Thanks!
I am actually zone 7a with winter lows down to 0-5F.
-My first season cuttings,if grown well,are planted in ground in Autumn.
-Grow out trees in bulb pans will be sunk in a deep bed of peatmoss,probably with the pot ,then a layer of loose leaves over top.
My bonsai will go in a despish wooden cold frame in the shade with sealed hinged,wooden lid with dirt bottom with gravel so earth can warm the box.Total darkness.I squirt a lot of water into the bottom a few days before I put them away and they stay humid all Winter with minimal watering,if any.
I used to set the boxes about two feet deep into ground,but this year I am going to experiment with maybe a foot or so ,because I do not like to bend over so far to bring out trees.
I will then utilize low intensity lighting to warm it up a few degrees in the coldest of winter.( with remote control,sealed led’s and also a remote thermometer ) just to keep it around 32f or so.

The deep ones I used to build in the past never dropped below 27F (without lighting for heat) and there was always dew on the bottom of the pots.The drawback is that they are tailored for smaller collections and small bonsai.
Good luck

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Wow you have a nice winter set up going on. With not knowing where I’ll be living come winter ( I know it will be a house with a garage and a yard though), I’ll be careful to choose trees that I can winter properly.
There is so much to consider, it really makes choosing a species extra difficult. I know it’s soon to worry about the specifics of winter but again you know it’s not! I don’t want to buy trees now that have no chance of my providing everything they need to thrive year round.
A small cold frame would certainly be doable for me though.
I’m certainly seeing why starting small and building over time would be advantageous.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Crizzi Questions Yeah cold frames are great for small trees if you do it,make sure it’s in the shade and no glass tops or anything because the Sun will wake them up too early. I don’t even bring them out until the growing season starts . Even the sun shining on a wooden one willheat them up too early .

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Little corker #2
This one was apparently started from a root cutting as described on the listing.
Very pleased!
Awesome!
These are well worth the money that George askes for them.They’re ready to go and can start developing branches:D
Addicting too.I better take cuttings and make my own!
Probably take a good 5-7 years to get that bark though:eek:
D96B2763-4DC7-47EC-BA24-FE55640A7B24.jpeg75AC15CD-1A8C-4F92-B299-599B3FCAFE0B.jpeg1E0C71C1-49D4-488B-8608-A7FEBC768DA1.jpeg

Top Bottom