Little Ficus Query

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just a quick little thing, but it requires a bit more experience with Ficus' so I put it to you, the BonsaiNut public.

There is a little young ficus that Im looking at buying. Its cheap, simple looking thing, upright, bit of flare to the bottom (insert joke here) giving it some taper.

My query is, I'm in Zone 8, and this is a tropical plant, some light research so far tells me this isn't a good match, and the shop it is in, probably has it indoors all the time.
So bringing it home, if it goes outside now in this weather (0c or -2c over night), even though it is in an unheathed shed protecting it some, I dont think that contrast in temperature will treat it well.
Even though I could keep it indoors till temperature picks up, Im not sure, Long term, this would be a good idea.

Let me know your thoughts please.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
...Even though I could keep it indoors till temperature picks up, Im not sure, Long term, this would be a good idea.

Let me know your thoughts please.
This is a good idea, well lit window sill will work good. You can improve light condition with artificial lights. Ficus is one of the species that don't mind heating right "below the legs".
May-October it should be OK outside. Min. temperatures 10, better 15℃. However it may drop some leaves changing position. Easy plants.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Agree with that said above. 0c is FAR to cold for a ficus to LIVE in, but to thrive they need to be in that 15c+ range. It's not uncommon for bonsai enthusiasts to have tropical trees that they move outside in summer and back indoors for winter.

Aaron

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a good idea, well lit window sill will work good. You can improve light condition with artificial lights. Ficus is one of the species that don't mind heating right "below the legs".
May-October it should be OK outside. Min. temperatures 10, better 15℃. However it may drop some leaves changing position. Easy plants.

Thanks for that. I've read some more, seems like it'll be pretty much an indoor tree, to be taken out for maybe a couple of months in summer, possibly brought back in every night.
Apparently it's a beginner tree so it must be rather tough and can take some mistreatment, if it happens.
I think I'll get it, seems like a nice change.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Agree with that said above. 0c is FAR to cold for a ficus to LIVE in, but to thrive they need to be in that 15c+ range. It's not uncommon for bonsai enthusiasts to have tropical trees that they move outside in summer and back indoors for winter.

Aaron

Yeah that's what I've read. I'm gonna keep it indoors, and it might get some good sun in summer.
I'll do my best with humidity tray and misting, as I've read that it really loves a high humidity environment.
I'll probably repot with inorganic substrates too, when it's ready, so it'll be watered regularly.

Onkt just got started with bonsai and them being outside, it feels so different to have it inside.
Only other thing I can think of, that'd cause a problem is air. Won't it get limited air indoors as opposed to out?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah that's what I've read. I'm gonna keep it indoors, and it might get some good sun in summer.
I'll do my best with humidity tray and misting, as I've read that it really loves a high humidity environment.
I'll probably repot with inorganic substrates too, when it's ready, so it'll be watered regularly.

Onkt just got started with bonsai and them being outside, it feels so different to have it inside.
Only other thing I can think of, that'd cause a problem is air. Won't it get limited air indoors as opposed to out?
Humidity isn't such a big issue, I live in the high desert just above a mile above see level, our humidity in sumer is in the single digits-teens and my ficus do fine. In winter I put them in my tropical greenhouse which has a fan for air circulation, but it hardly gets fresh air all winter (yesterday was the first time I opened it up and vented since november) and they actually grow faster in winter for me so fresh air doesn't seem as big of an issue as air circulation.

Aaron

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

That was a great read, really super inspiring.
Almost dangerous really, although I know it is possible for anyone to have that kinda success (over the space of 20+ years, I would think most things are possible), it sets high hopes!
Really great read and those trees developed from such small young looking ones, like the one I'm getting, in to great looking, award winning trees.
Thanks for that link.

Humidity isn't such a big issue, I live in the high desert just above a mile above see level, our humidity in summer is in the single digits-teens and my ficus do fine. In winter I put them in my tropical greenhouse which has a fan for air circulation, but it hardly gets fresh air all winter (yesterday was the first time I opened it up and vented since November) and they actually grow faster in winter for me so fresh air doesn't seem as big of an issue as air circulation.

Aaron

After reading Petegreg's link, I can see that and agree with you.
I'm reading at the moment that humidity and temperature (helped by misting and humidifier tray) are what help the tree create aerial roots, which I would love but I can see that's not something to aim for so soon.

The spare room I have, next to a big window (radiator turned off) which faces the sun as it rises, seems to be a great place for this. Testing its temperature, its 17-19c, easily above 15. We don't heat the room with a radiator because we don't use the room, so no need wasting electric heating it. Its shaping up to be a rather good plan, I reckon!
Wanna post a few pics of your Ficus @aml1014 ? Out of curiousity mostly. Do you get aerial roots forming with that low humidity?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That was a great read, really super inspiring.
Almost dangerous really, although I know it is possible for anyone to have that kinda success (over the space of 20+ years, I would think most things are possible), it sets high hopes!
Really great read and those trees developed from such small young looking ones, like the one I'm getting, in to great looking, award winning trees.
Thanks for that link.

After reading Petegreg's link, I can see that and agree with you.
I'm reading at the moment that humidity and temperature (helped by misting and humidifier tray) are what help the tree create aerial roots, which I would love but I can see that's not something to aim for so soon.

The spare room I have, next to a big window (radiator turned off) which faces the sun as it rises, seems to be a great place for this. Testing its temperature, its 17-19c, easily above 15. We don't heat the room with a radiator because we don't use the room, so no need wasting electric heating it. Its shaping up to be a rather good plan, I reckon!
Wanna post a few pics of your Ficus @aml1014 ? Out of curiousity mostly. Do you get aerial roots forming with that low humidity?
Nope, no aerial roots forming here.
I have a God awful amount of ficus, but here's a couple.20170206_145039.jpg 20170206_144947.jpg 20170206_145019.jpg
And the monster Ill be airlayering into several trees, one already in progress.20170206_145117.jpg
Aaron

Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow that monster lol.
I love that your shed is just full of tons of bonsai trees.. I wanna get to that stage sometime.
I love that second from last one, tiny. It's absolutely adorable, which is the first time I've called a tree that!
It's interesting as well, that from that link, posted by Petegreg, it seems like they can be kept in their shallow bonsai lots but still grow pretty well.
I was under the impression the trunk would stay pretty much the same size if kept in the same size pot.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow that monster lol.
I love that your shed is just full of tons of bonsai trees.. I wanna get to that stage sometime.
I love that second from last one, tiny. It's absolutely adorable, which is the first time I've called a tree that!
It's interesting as well, that from that link, posted by Petegreg, it seems like they can be kept in their shallow bonsai lots but still grow pretty well.
I was under the impression the trunk would stay pretty much the same size if kept in the same size pot.
It's actually my greenhouse lol
Ficus are one of few trees that can put on trunk girth in a container, most easily done with sacrifice branches.

Aaron

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's actually my greenhouse lol
Ficus are one of few trees that can put on trunk girth in a container, most easily done with sacrifice branches.

Aaron

Oh yeh, I wasn't looking at the roof, I can see it's glass.
Ok thanks, that's good to know!
Thanks for the info.

J. Adrian

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here are a few of my ficus.

Attachments

• 20160811_032922.jpg
    20160811_032922.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20161205_085014_001.jpg
    20161205_085014_001.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20160811_032702.jpg
    20160811_032702.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20160811_032751_001.jpg
    20160811_032751_001.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20161104_100420.jpg
    20161104_100420.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 25

J. Adrian

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
1st one is green island, the grouping is benjamina, the liostick, the last 2 are retusa. The liostick had its leaves cur to get more light.

Top Bottom