Little Gem....Big Pot

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here's little gem spruce I pulled out of the yard 2 years ago and it's getting its new home. I'm heading down to Mulberry Creek nursery tomorrow to get me some crazy plants for its perimeter yard. The pot is 24"
IMG_0225.JPG

Last edited:

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The pot was one of my winter projects.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the concept of the pot. Are you going to use water plants around the base area? It seems like it would look great with a few water plants/mosses growing in water like Nitella that is grass likeat the bottom.

ed

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I love the concept of the pot. Are you going to use water plants around the base area? It seems like it would look great with a few water plants/mosses growing in water like Nitella that is grass likeat the bottom.

ed
The outer part has drainage hole in it. I think I'll use sifted fines with some peat for soil. Mulberry Creek has incredible miniature stuff. I think moss could be too monotonous.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The outer part has drainage hole in it. I think I'll use sifted fines with some peat for soil. Mulberry Creek has incredible miniature stuff. I think moss could be too monotonous.

A mix of ground covers, succulents and maybe something from the yard like wild strawberry would do it for me. Great concept on the pot Dave! Your artistic skills with wood material is always a pleasure to see.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like the tree and pot. The only thing is the pot makes the tree look small. Maybe when you put other plants or whatever around the outside it will seem bigger.
All in all pretty cool.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice composition on the way. Please update as you go! I like the little gems, they are neat little plants.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Like the tree and pot. The only thing is the pot makes the tree look small. Maybe when you put other plants or whatever around the outside it will seem bigger.
All in all pretty cool.
The scale of the accessory plants will complete the illusion. Large leaf accessory.... small tree and visa-versa small leaf....big tree.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Got the plants in....now just wait to see what lives and fill in the gaps. I would have bought more stuff to put in but not sure what will tolerate the shallow soil. Some of the plant include.....Corsican Sedum, Blue Globe Daisy, Draba, Faery money. Might drop in some moss to fill in and hold moisture while while it gets established. It would probably help the soil from washing out.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 110

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is very pleasing to the eye, subtle and well done. You should be proud of that one - very natural feel. Great work Dave! :)

Grimmy

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Budding out!! I've added some moss....the horizontal growth habit type.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 88

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a well thought out and realized project. I appreciate the different point of view this planting provides, nice work.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's starting to fill in. Big pots don't necessarily make trees look small. I'm really having fun with these small plants. I don't like mudmen so I'm gonna make some scale hillbillies for effect.

Attachments

• IMG_2133.JPG
    IMG_2133.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom