Little hinoki

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my third year for this little guy, started it when Dad passed away - try to use it to think of him when I work it. A lot of pressure considering my record so far : )
Maybe trimmed too much off first year, now just working on lowering branches. Pot from Bonsai West, a little big, but I love it.
BBA16E21B-37FE-48A1-89E1-233A898D555C.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree. I would recommend letting that first branch grow out unrestricted to thicken the base, and then sacrificing it and leaving a jin, a few years down the road or whenever it has done its job.
Sorry about your father; I lost mine a few years back and it still smarts at unexpected times. I think it is good to have a peaceful reminder.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's an interesting suggestion about the lowest branch-it's always bothered me, leaving it to help thicken it up, don't want a hole there, never think of him on non-juniper trees.
It was two years a few weeks back, surprising how fast that slipped by.
B

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hinoki, are tricky. They give a nice ''finished look'', rather quickly, but are difficult to keep proportionate long term. The issue is there will be no back budding on older growth. Once a branch or trunk produces brown bark, there will be no back budding in that area. (technically almost no back budding, what little happens can not be counted on). Only way to bring foliage to an area that has developed bark is to graft new foliage into place. Grafting is a difficult technique to get good with.

As upper branches grow they will shade out the foliage below, it will yellow and die, leaving you with foliage way out at the tips of the branches, no green in close to the trunk. This then forces you to increase the height and the width of the tree in order to keep the tree looking well proportioned. If you plan for this, it is not a problem. If you want to keep it a certain size, this becomes a big problem. You must preserve as much foliage close to the trunk as possible. Unlike junipers, you don't clean out buds in on the trunk and at the base of branches. As branches get too thick in diameter, or too leggy, these buds become your replacement branches. So Hinoki are a bit tricky to train.

I agree with the suggestions to use the first branch as a sacrifice, let it grow and thicken the trunk.

The angle a branch leaves the trunk should repeat itself up the trunk. Your first branch is different than all the others. The lowest branch should exit the trunk closest to horizontal, the higher up the tree, the branches can rise a little as you progress up the tree. There should be no piccolos in among the flutes. (one points up to the left while the others are held to the right). There should be a pattern, as the same forces of nature works on all branches of the tree, so one branch vering off at a different angle makes no sense.

So for that reason, your first branch does not fit the pattern you set with your upper branches. You can try to correct the angle it leaves the trunk, or you can just use it as a sacrifice. I think it is too thick to easily bend down, so a sacrifice branch is your best bet.

Top Bottom