Little JBP

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
When we moved into a new house a couple years ago my wife bought me this JBP and here's were it's stand now.

this spring before candle pruning
Sorry for this image-imageshack keeps cutting off picture so I stopped using them
kbh6.jpg

Beginning of fall-it put out a ridiculous amount of candles-about 4-5 at every single cut. Soon I will wire it for the first time(and candle selection) and see what I can come up with. It has a runner I've been letting go to help thicken the tree that will become a jin/shari in the next couple season or two. The tree has a few faults and will need a better pot and angle but that's for a later time. Any critiques welcome

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Critique is difficult since its not styled yet. How about an idea towards future development?

You say the tree has faults, I would suggest looking for ways to eliminate faults you see entirely rather than try to work around them, otherwise you may always be a bit unsatisfied with the result. Judging from the pic a possible approach I could imagine is rootwork and root development in a pond basket. Also maybe eventual removal of everything above the first branch.

Have fun with it!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I guess its just to show the progress of this guy-i'll be wiring soon and have a new pic then.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Less critique, more suggestion, but if this was in my garden, here is how I'd treat it now:

1. Use the first branch as the second section of trunk, label everything else (90% of the flaws are here) as sacrifice.
2. Wire movement into only that first branch (making it a continuation of the trunk line) to ensure branches emerge from that new trunk line at the outside of bends.
3. Thin the terminal buds on the new trunk and it's branches down to pairs. (one sacrifice and one "final"). Be sure the new trunk section gets the preferred sunlight. In other words, turn it so the sacrifice part doesn't shade out the final part at any time.
4. Thin the needles of the sacrifice portion to just a few pairs around next year's buds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 282

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I havnt thought of something so drastic, but I have to say I do like ur ideas. Would you cut off the rest of Jin it? Thanks by the way

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I havnt thought of something so drastic, but I have to say I do like ur ideas. Would you cut off the rest of Jin it? Thanks by the way
Eventually, I'd cut it off completely. However, I'd let the sacrifice portion remain for several years to really fatten up the trunk. You'd be surprised at how the trunk can double in size in a year by leaving a big sacrifice branch like that.

The second photo shows the branch that has been selected as the next trunk section on a JBP growing out in the ground for 4 years from a pencil-thick seedling. It's sacrifice branch is 7' tall now, and it will be cut down to 2.5" in the next year or two.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 239

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
thanks, I think I might go that route now, Maybe I'll just slip it into the ground and let it go the route of the picture you just described. During this time do you candle prune,needle pluck the new trunk selection or the sacrifice area? I would image you let the sacrifice area go unchecked?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
During this time do you candle prune,needle pluck the new trunk selection or the sacrifice area? I would image you let the sacrifice area go unchecked?
Yes, Summer candle-cut and fall needle thinning for final branches (new trunk section).
No summer candle-cutting for sacrifice branches. In the fall, remove all but the closest 10 pairs of needles to next year's buds on sacrifice branches.

Some reading material on the subject:
http://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/sacrifice-branches-black-pine/
and:
http://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/sacrifice-branches-black-pine-part-2/

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm growing out a JBP similar to Brian and have a sacrifice that's about 12' tall at the moment. The technique works to get trunks to thicken up quickly. The only thing I would note is that I did remove needles lower on the sacrifice branch to the extent they shaded out the branches on the trunk section that is being kept.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Brian, great advice and great illustration of the technique with a real life example.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
IMG_3331.JPG IMG_3332.JPG allowed to grow unchecked - growing super strong now - already broke two candles in half to even out growth - will be decandled this year

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a change! Like what I see;). Where is style going from here?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So, the second rather than first branch has become the whole tree. Was that a choice you made, or did circumstances decide for you?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
What a change! Like what I see;). Where is style going from here?
So, the second rather than first branch has become the whole tree. Was that a choice you made, or did circumstances decide for you?

No I made this choice, I will be wiring and styling this fall and it will be made clear. I saw a little JBP in a show and this one lend to that one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom