Little man BC

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
With this much growth,I am expecting healthy root growth. Branch section will be done late summer so I get good branch size growing in the fall.
FAA10D35-7C51-40AA-A6BB-72336EE91865.jpeg

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Little man got plenty of branches and roots going on now. He will get his first styling in mid July. Still not sure how I’ll style him yet. Any suggestion is appreciated.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice cut. Keeping your options open or healing in stages or keeping all?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Final trim 2022
It will be a number of years before decent taper. Perhaps carving is in its future.
37A415B5-8EE0-45C2-806A-7C2B6AD1BD4B.jpeg

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Trees with minimal taper are tough... Personally I like my apex branches to leave the trunk at vastly different heights on the trunk....these three feel like they all exit the trunk at a very similar height. In the last picture, imagine removing the left most apex and carving down to the branch that comes out about 3" lower on that left most top branch. The second thing I think would help is to get some movement in the apex branches...they are already approaching a size that might make difficult... just my 2 cents...

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Trees with minimal taper are tough... Personally I like my apex branches to leave the trunk at vastly different heights on the trunk....these three feel like they all exit the trunk at a very similar height. In the last picture, imagine removing the left most apex and carving down to the branch that comes out about 3" lower on that left most top branch. The second thing I think would help is to get some movement in the apex branches...they are already approaching a size that might make difficult... just my 2 cents...
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing but was reluctant to get rid of a healthy branch but you are absolutely right. I will work on the branches as well this afternoon. Your post is the very reason I posted what I did because I wasn't entirely happy with it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
One of the three top branch was removed and the trunk carved down to a lower branch. It looks better now.
91D5851F-F046-431F-8208-0437045D4CC2.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
After staring at it for more than two weeks, I decided to take the second biggest branch off and carved it down further.

Good enough for now. When I have time I will do more carving to define the branches a little better.

As soon as it leafs out, it will be dunked to build root flare.
E37F6177-37BC-4014-B168-87D65FBCB027.jpeg

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What is the size of reference for this? Is it like 20-30 inches right now?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What is the size of reference for this? Is it like 20-30 inches right now?
Trunk is 5” dia. Current height is 22”. The plan is to finish the next stage at 27”. The base needs to flare out a lot more though. Thankfully it is BC so it is entirely possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom