Little maple bonsai

Izzyinsweden

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So i was at the nursery and I found this cute little maple, I couldn’t but buy it (15euros!!!) but now i was wondering if it should be repotted or if its ready to be wired?
Thanks, izzy

Attachments

• 2016DAB3-FDE3-4CC1-AD9E-8F41F586C339.jpeg
    2016DAB3-FDE3-4CC1-AD9E-8F41F586C339.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 6B6954DC-DE5A-4AB0-9DE2-645D9E3E0CDF.jpeg
    6B6954DC-DE5A-4AB0-9DE2-645D9E3E0CDF.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 660C713A-D483-45E6-BA0E-89A94E18F6C0.jpeg
    660C713A-D483-45E6-BA0E-89A94E18F6C0.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 71

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Usually you dont repot a deciduous tree after the leaves emerge unless you're just slip potting it. I personally like to just observe my new trees for a year before I make any big changes. Wiring new growth on JM is the best way to get movement. Older branches become brittle. BUT you have to make sure you take the wire off before it bites into the branch is it will be scarred for a long time. I don't have experience with wire scarring on JM yet but that has been the word on the street unanimously

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Usually you dont repot a deciduous tree after the leaves emerge unless you're just slip potting it.

Good advice : you can repot maples almost any time, provided that you cultivated them. But for a tree you've bought from a nursery, you don't know what the roots look like, how it was cultivated (soil, ferts, etc) so I would just slip-pot it in a wider but not deeper pot, adding some coarse pozzolane (lava rock) or pumice to give more "air" to the roots until next spring when it has thrived. I would just select a few branches in late June when it's at its top form.

Izzyinsweden

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Good advice : you can repot maples almost any time, provided that you cultivated them. But for a tree you've bought from a nursery, you don't know what the roots look like, how it was cultivated (soil, ferts, etc) so I would just slip-pot it in a wider but not deeper pot, adding some coarse pozzolane (lava rock) or pumice to give more "air" to the roots until next spring when it has thrived. I would just select a few branches in late June when it's at its top form.
Yeah this sounds good, i see the soil is kind of clayish so that’s why i wanted to repot it mainly. I don’t mind the pot because the size just makes it cute, but i wanted to add my bonsai soil which has pumice, lava, a bit of acadama and a bit of potting soil. But i could only do that if i slip pot in a wider pot if i understood the point you guys made? Because there wont be any root teasing or pruning before autumn? Also what kind of sun exposure do you she would handle because shes on a west facing balcony and the sun is serious even though i live in sweden. My apologies if im asking too much but i hate to kill a tree 😇.
I appreciate the feedback

Top Bottom