Little Pine, Big Character

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Smoke, if you let the wire stay on and get integrated with the bark, then how do you propose to create a shari? Wouldn't you hit or see the wire when creating the shari?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, if you let the wire stay on and get integrated with the bark, then how do you propose to create a shari? Wouldn't you hit or see the wire when creating the shari?

If, I do that, I am sure there will be more than enough wood that will have grown over the wire by then. First display of this tree is not untill 2014 any way so I have two more years to get there.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Wow Smoke, I wouldn't have guessed it be buried that deep in just 6 yrs. Thought Shimpaku's grew pretty slowly. Thanks for the info, I've got 10 Shim. seedlings to play around with. I'll certainly give this a try!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is going to look amazing in a few years and when it is in a bonsai pot...I believe I have now seen this technique done with 3 species...junipers, pines and arborvitae. I wonder if there are any others out there.. I would imagine maple and yew might make nice subjects.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If, I do that, I am sure there will be more than enough wood that will have grown over the wire by then. First display of this tree is not untill 2014 any way so I have two more years to get there.

I agree with Kennedy Marx, it's 2014!

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I'll bump this myself as well, I've been interested in trying the technique and some progression photos would be helpful.

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey Smoke, you said this tree may be ready to show by 2014. Any progress shots? The people are clamoring for more! Great idea and wonderful imagination, my fellow former Fresnan.

win320

Mame
Reaction score
hi @Smoke

thanks for sharing the technique. Could you please share the latest pic of this pine ? thanks

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hi @Smoke

thanks for sharing the technique. Could you please share the latest pic of this pine ? thanks
While my wife was battling cancer, which she lost in August 2017, I had a watering incident in July 2017 that took out some of my trees. I lost about 7 total, of those this was one. In 2019 I am still battling the effects of that incident due to lost branches on those that survived, and some are just very weak and may still die down the road. Most of the larger trees weathered the catastrophe but the small trees suffered greatly.

Don't make adjustments to your time clocks on your watering system when your heads not in the game....

win320

Mame
Reaction score
While my wife was battling cancer, which she lost in August 2017, I had a watering incident in July 2017 that took out some of my trees. I lost about 7 total, of those this was one. In 2019 I am still battling the effects of that incident due to lost branches on those that survived, and some are just very weak and may still die down the road. Most of the larger trees weathered the catastrophe but the small trees suffered greatly.

Don't make adjustments to your time clocks on your watering system when your heads not in the game....
Hi @Smoke

Thanks for your reply.
I am very sorry to hear about your wife. RIP.

Very sad that you lost lovely bonsais. I believe you can make more in the future.

Good luck and keep sharing the techniques.

Regards,
Vin

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi @Smoke

Thanks for your reply.
I am very sorry to hear about your wife. RIP.

Very sad that you lost lovely bonsais. I believe you can make more in the future.

Good luck and keep sharing the techniques.

Regards,
Vin

Thanks, I would gladly give up every tree to spend just one day with her again....

DSC_00230009.JPG

Top Bottom