Little Spekboom... then and now.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How often and with what are you fertilizing? You said youve been fertilizing heavily?

I have a pot of these outside now and im trying to get them to finally start acting like they like me.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How often and with what are you fertilizing? You said youve been fertilizing heavily?

I have a pot of these outside now and im trying to get them to finally start acting like they like me.
I use 20-20-20 water soluble chemical blue juice, weekly, year round.....and when its outdoors in summer, it gets fish emulsion and chem in a weekly rotation.

I basically subscribe to the theory that you can't fertilize too much, the plant will take what it wants, the rest will run out of the bottom of the pot......and I water frequently.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They say these trees don't like a lot of water, but in my experience they do. They can deal without any water for quite a while. And they may grow more root during that time, which is good to do now and then. But you can order them just as much as anything else.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They say these trees don't like a lot of water, but in my experience they do. They can deal without any water for quite a while.

Yeah they are extraordinary trees. They can go without and be flooded. Don't make a difference to them. They're born survivors. The guy I got mine from had it in a big pot outside in clay garden soil. It stood like than on the same spot for 15+ years. Stayed flooded every winter for 6 months and it grew without missing a beat.... had a 5 inch trunk.
They grow best and fastest when the pot is placed on the ground. The roots shoots quickly into the ground and it being a succulent, don't sulk much when the roots are cut to get the pot out the ground again.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
They say these trees don't like a lot of water, but in my experience they do. They can deal without any water for quite a while. And they may grow more root during that time, which is good to do now and then. But you can order them just as much as anything else.

I have found that too. I water the crap out of mine, pound them with slow release (organic) and weekly blue juice. Sometimes I let them get super dry (no water for 2-3 days) then hit them with the miracle grow hard two days in a row on my strongest ones. Out of the (4) varieties I have, the “regular” afra grows the craziest when subject to aggressive fert. I have never done it scientifically, but I swear I can get 1/8” or maybe more a day on my biggest porty.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Some pics....I noticed the base of the tree getting fat!...even on the opposite side of the low shoots.
I think the reverse taper will be gone soon.

The beginning....
IMAG1418.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Plopped down in the center, a bit deeper than before.... chunkier substrate than before.
I'm glad I decided to repot, the tree had a mat of rotten roots at the bottom, and a few large roots were getting out of control.
I did correct a couple large and crossing roots....nebari should start to get nice in a few years. Once a strong nebari is established, I'll begin looking for a pot....I'm thinking something like a shallow, wide, off-white to light tan colored shallow oval, small feet....we'll see.

For now, this pot will give it a good home to grow out for the rest of the summer, and look good doing it 😎.
20190811_162802.jpg20190811_162822.jpg

Top Bottom