Little Toyo Nishiki

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Isn't it better to put it in a bigger pot when still developing branching, so it will grow faster?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah it looks like a great piece of material!
I am with Cypress187, maybe up-pot for a year or two while developing?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Japanese Quince in my experience so far grows fast like weeds with exception of chojubai. That, I'm told is much slower than regular Japanese quince. Anyhow, this one I'll try the small pot out for a while. I'm looking into other horticultural methos of shortening internodes this year.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@garywood or anyone, have you had good experiences with PGRs, plant growth regulators? Some info out there on roses, but I've found nothing for quince.

So I've been looking into what works for roses, and what I've found is Concise and Sumagic are good on Knock Out roses. Bonzi, what I have access to at the moment. Effects and safety on roses is limited per one source.

I'll try it on some cuttings in the Spring. By then I may have access to some Sumagic.

What I am aiming for is shorter internodes. Flowers can wait if flowers arẻ going to be affected. If successful, I expect to be spraying or drenching once or twice a year.

20160206_161623.jpg

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
TP, it's been 40 years since I used any in a nursery and that was with flowers. B-9 was the active ingredient and it worked for Mums.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Can you guys expand on the subject a bit of using the pgr's? Never heard of it

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Can you guys expand on the subject a bit of using the pgr's? Never heard of it
I missed your post, Drew. Sorry.

My understanding is that PGRS are used commercially usually to make plants more compact to be more attractive to consumers. Keep them from looking lanky. Some are used on roses so that you may have the attractive long stems to be used in bouquets.

There are different PGRs and results vary among different plants or may have no affect at all. Some require root drenched and some only require spray on foliage. That's my limited knowledge on the matter.

It's not a simple matter for me as I haven't found info for use on Japanese quince specifically. If you're still curious, you could Google key words "plant growth regulator" and you will find lots of details.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
More leaves today. A little more wiring. Wasn't trying to get a perfect sillouhette. Just putting some twists in. I think I can cut back more.
20160215_170056.jpg
20160215_170100.jpg
20160215_170102.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm away right now. I'll get some shots later. It looks like chemicals I used, the way I used them didn't shorten the internodes.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hurriedly snapped shots this morning. Gloomy outside.

Attachments

• 20160516_065044.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 20160516_065029.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 12

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hurriedly snapped shots this morning. Gloomy outside.

Thank you! The growth rate is I expected and will look forward to my first growing season with my first Toyo. Curious if you let that variety get a lot of sun. Only had mine a few days and it seems to like it.

Grimmy

Top Bottom