Little Toyo Nishiki

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This quince is not left in full sun anymore as I can't water it 3 or 4 times daily.

Another quince hadn't been repotted, but only had branches pruned back last fall; branches grew over a foot with some long internodes an inch and easily twice that. I'll have to go back and verify. I'll cut back a lot some time; right now I'm focused on the roots.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some root cuttings sprouted from this TY weeks ago with wire and all.;)
20160514_092929.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you! My new one will remain in full sun for a year then in a 2 1/2 gallon nursery pot. I usually wait a year with every thing new to learn to plant and its care. Knowing it really can handle the sun is a great help!

Grimmy

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes, handles sun well. Just needs lots of watering. If you have in large pot with organic soil, you could water once daily even in a hot summer.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, handles sun well. Just needs lots of watering. If you have in large pot with organic soil, you could water once daily even in a hot summer.

If my notes are correct when I had Quince they handle Sun with proper water and drainage but it has been awhile. I also have noted to prune them after bloom to promote tighter blooms on the older wood. Seems the new leggy stuff did not toss blooms so I noted to trim as I need to grow a branch sometimes allowing new growth to get old. Now thinking about it might not get so leggy with less sun :confused:

Grimmy

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I still have to refer to my notes often.

Shade can cause your internodes to be much longer. The left green branch grew recently while the quince was in shade. The wooden branch on right grew in full sun when weather was cooler. Note I gave it some cottonseed meal right before the young green branches existed.
20160516_162031.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This year I'm practicing a little more scion grafting. Kept it all in a bag to keep humid. Some of the scion buds are leafing on the lower grafts. Buds higher up appear swollen. Kind of ugly, but I think it'll look cleaner in the future when cut back. Work done 18 days ago.

2017-03-06 16.27.36-1.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some growth about a foot long. Looks like it's slowing down. One graft of three took. I think I just need more practice. One graft that failed was with a very small branch and another was probably from not having a good contact.

20170412_112407.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Got dry at some point while I was on vacation, and it dropped a lot of leaves. Many sprouted back now. Cut back a few branches, hoping to get a burst of growth and a little ramification. One graft took and resprouted leaves. Will try to graft more branches when I find time.

20170719_151305-1.jpg

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cut back a few branches, hoping to get a burst of growth and a little ramification.

We had a conversation here and in another thread about mine. Before I went further Crystal reminded me that any Quince we kept in Full Sun did rather crappy so I modified my routine a lot. Also I mentioned a late Fall chop of the new growth. I kept it in Full sun for the Winter only after the chop. I moved it to filtered East sun in the Spring after bloom and another chop. It looked pretty sad but in a few weeks tossed my a LOT of foliage AND branches :) Here it is this morning and honest I do not see any internodes, just leaf :eek:
Anyways I mentioned I would tell you how it went. To me it went good and I will do the same this year for second stage ramification. Currently at 13 inches tall after being chopped to 7 ish in Fall and cutting away the leggy Spring crap. 18 to 22 inches from side to side depending on the angle as well so I will have an ample amount of plant to work -

IMG_1252.JPG

Grimmy

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
We had a conversation here and in another thread about mine. Before I went further Crystal reminded me that any Quince we kept in Full Sun did rather crappy so I modified my routine a lot. Also I mentioned a late Fall chop of the new growth. I kept it in Full sun for the Winter only after the chop. I moved it to filtered East sun in the Spring after bloom and another chop. It looked pretty sad but in a few weeks tossed my a LOT of foliage AND branches :) Here it is this morning and honest I do not see any internodes, just leaf :eek:
Anyways I mentioned I would tell you how it went. To me it went good and I will do the same this year for second stage ramification. Currently at 13 inches tall after being chopped to 7 ish in Fall and cutting away the leggy Spring crap. 18 to 22 inches from side to side depending on the angle as well so I will have an ample amount of plant to work -

View attachment 153948

Grimmy
But which cultivar do you have in the picture? Toyo nishiki generally has coarse growth, long internodes.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
But which cultivar do you have in the picture? Toyo nishiki generally has coarse growth, long internodes.

I was wondering the same thing. Because if that is truly what Grim has, I need whatever magic he is using!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Labeled as Chaenomeles speciosa 'Toyo Nishiki ' Flowering Quince. As you describe is how it looked when received June 2015. This picture was August 2015 prior to chopping -

It does bloom as it should in multiple colors, came out of Zelenka Farms in Sims NC -

IMG_0649.JPG

Grimmy

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've got TN and a couple of other cultivars. In pots they all seem to do better in shade/part-shade than full sun despite the fact that some used to be in full sun when they were in the ground.

None of mine have internodes as short @GrimLore's appears to have.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was wondering the same thing. Because if that is truly what Grim has, I need whatever magic he is using!

No magic, I treat shrubs of all types as I see them growing best in the ground in this region. For any Quince I make a heavy loam mix, and lightly fertilize twice a year. They can only handle Full East/West sun in the Winter here and afterwards go under the Japanese Maple(landscape). I timed it today and it got 2 hours of passing Eastern sun and remains shaded as I type because of where it is. My Wife comments on a few potted shrubs with a subtle "that's crazy".
Since going to organic substrate we are seeing similar results with many plants as I modify it to what I think works best... I just completed changing all plants over and so far all are doing better.

In pots they all seem to do better in shade/part-shade than full sun despite the fact that some used to be in full sun when they were in the ground.

They do handle full Sun better in loam here when in the ground, look like hell in pots though. I trashed several different types when trying to go Full Sun and started doing as I described.

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Since going to organic substrate we are seeing similar results with many plants as I modify it to what I think works best... I just completed changing all plants over and so far all are doing better.

I switched my quince, azaleas and maples to a chunker pumice blend with screened bark and rough cut peat. Perhaps 25% organic total. I have seen really good results combined with the use of shade cloth. By "really good" I mean I have not previously been able to keep JM alive here in Southern California after trying about 12 different cultivars. Seems like they wanted more acid in their soil and a little protection from the sun.

My toyo nishiki looks like the one in Grim's "before" photo. I have NEVER been able to get that tight foliage he is showing in his "after" photo!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@GrimLore same place you got your "peach" tree :p?

Nope, and I do have more pictures of the same plant looking what most call "normal" as well as a few various blooms of white/salmon, light pink/white, and red ;) As I mentioned some time ago I was happy to get my first Toyo. I was not happy however with how it looked... I am hoping this isn't the "last show" for this one and it continues to flourish. Another thought crossed my mind awhile back when it started growing like this but I know little about such things - "Is it possible being an early bloomer here it has been somehow cross pollinated by bees?"

Grimmy

Top Bottom