Little white mushroom things sprouting like crazy!

damien

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
These little white and cream colored things keep sprouting up from my soil overnight. Doesn't matter if it's covered or open air, they sprout - And in the pots that have a little tent over them, they seem to hit the tent and open up.

photo (3).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto (1).JPGwefwef.JPG

Are they harmful? I've just been plucking them out mostly. But they don't seem to be going away.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Can't comment on their harmfulness, but they're a sign that you're keeping your soil far too wet, especially in that peaty soil. Why are you covering the pots with plastic bags?

damien

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
I decided to try a couple pots of cuttings with a cover on them. I've got another couple uncovered, and another couple in entirely perlite, no soil.
I'm using cactus soil mixed with perlite, it's the best I could do for drainage without access to better quality soil mixes.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I decided to try a couple pots of cuttings with a cover on them. I've got another couple uncovered, and another couple in entirely perlite, no soil.
I'm using cactus soil mixed with perlite, it's the best I could do for drainage without access to better quality soil mixes.

Let the soil dry out much more between waterings and they should all disappear.

damien

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
Ok - how dry do you think? I've been measuring by sticking my finger in the soil, and sticking a wooden chopstick in the soil. I usually water when the surface is totally dry and it's dry an inch or so down.

axiekeeper

Seedling
Reaction score
they are very beneficial to plants! they break down organic materiels into usable food for plants. as far as bonsai and too moist, ?? mushies like humidity and your plastic is all mushies need for that.

Top Bottom