Little white specks on Bougainvillea leaves, and other fun junk

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
First time Bougie owner, glad to be here with you all. I have two questions if I may be so bold.

Everything I read says that Bougies need to dry out well between waterings. Mine seems to want more water than that. If I dont, the leaves start to wilt and it doesn't seem as happy. It gets full sun all day. It seems extremely healthy with what I'm doing now. Please,dear readers, help advise if I am doing something wrong.

My second question is that a few leaves have little tiny threads coming off the leaf surface with a pinhead sized white dot on the ends. Can anyone tell me what these are?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First time Bougie owner, glad to be here with you all. I have two questions if I may be so bold.

Everything I read says that Bougies need to dry out well between waterings. Mine seems to want more water than that. If I dont, the leaves start to wilt and it doesn't seem as happy. It gets full sun all day. It seems extremely healthy with what I'm doing now. Please,dear readers, help advise if I am doing something wrong.

My second question is that a few leaves have little tiny threads coming off the leaf surface with a pinhead sized white dot on the ends. Can anyone tell me what these are?

Lacewing larvae.
They are good to eat bad stuff!

Trouble is, they get laid by food.

Check for other pests you can smash, and let them larvae finish em off!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I guess it depends on the conditions...when my trees are inside when temps fall. I water far less than when outdoors. The one in full sun gets watered daily. The one in my fairy garden gets morning sun (because of angel Ivy that is on the other side of the pot needs less sun...doesn't get watered as often. Every other day...and seems happy with that.)

I think the consensus of letting dry out between watering is that...they are supseptible to rot. When I repotted my larger bougainvillea that was in a sand like substrate that I bought it in...my finer roots had begun to rot. That was with me watering indoors every 3-4 days. So...I personally have seen my roots rot. So mine now are all in far less organic substrate...and I feel much more comfortable watching how fast the water drains. They have thrived in the wee brand substrate soil I use. I am seeing much happier trees...though I cut them all back for the most part. They are back budding and coming right along.

Top Bottom