Live oak beginnings

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny what you find clearing out old books. I ran across these Polaroid photos of my live oak waaay back when. The photos are dated 2000. I'd had the tree three years by then--Also ran across photocopies of old 1983 articles by Vaughn Banting on how he developed his signature flattop BC and another he wrote on how BC develop...

Last photo is of the live oak a couple of years ago.

liveoakbeginning1.jpgliveoakbeginning2.jpglive oak.jpg

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Wow... really love that tree @rockm .
Have always love the way oaks look. Your tree has inspired me to give it a shot!

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Magnificent Oak.
Interested in developing flat top bc.

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
where can I get a good material such as this.(oak tree)

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Depending on where you live, you can check bonsai nursery's, dig one up if you have a permit and place that has nice oaks or start from seed, but that will take much longer and I don't know how old you are. Other option if you have money to spend, buy one from a well know bonsai website.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
where can I get a good material such as this.(oak tree)
Well, where do you live? That depends on what you can get and, more importantly, WHAT you can keep alive. Your don't provide your location. Your avatar photo suggests somewhere tropical. If that's so, oaks are probably not going to do well for you, or live very long. Oaks require some winter rest, including southern live oaks.

As for sourcing old, collected hardwood material, again, depends on where you are. The collector I got this particular oak from has since passed away. Not many people collecting old hardwood bonsai material these days. Developed Southern live oaks and escarpment live oaks (like this one--escarpment live oak is a very close relative of the southern live oak) are not all that common, but getting more so.

One of the best oak collectors these days is Alvaro Arcina in Texas at Cho Bonsai.

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well, where do you live? That depends on what you can get and, more importantly, WHAT you can keep alive. Your don't provide your location. Your avatar photo suggests somewhere tropical. If that's so, oaks are probably not going to do well for you, or live very long. Oaks require some winter rest, including southern live oaks.

As for sourcing old, collected hardwood material, again, depends on where you are. The collector I got this particular oak from has since passed away. Not many people collecting old hardwood bonsai material these days. Developed Southern live oaks and escarpment live oaks (like this one--escarpment live oak is a very close relative of the southern live oak) are not all that common, but getting more so.

One of the best oak collectors these days is Alvaro Arcina in Texas at Cho Bonsai.

I live in Las Vegas

Top Bottom