Live Oak for Bonsai

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was wondering if anyone uses live oak Quercus virginiana for bonsai? I ask because we have some young trees in some of the flower beds at my work that will be pulled up and thrown away and if anyone can use them for bonsai I will dig them up and send them off. I hate to see them pulled up and trashed.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Live Oak makes wonderful bonsai. I was told that a well known TX bonsai enthusiast (Vito Megna I believe) once said that if he can go back in time...he will bonsai nothing but Live Oak.

That said, starting from seedling will take very long time. I started a couple nursery stock ($8 and $25) and chopped them to a stub. Both are doing very well. The $8 and $25 dollars I paid probably saved me 4 to 6 years in trunk development...not to mention that I managed to choose from many w/ the traits I want.

Thanks for willingness to share though. :)

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
No problem I just hate to see them go to waste. If anyone is interested let me know. I will probably go ahead and remove them and get them in nursery pots to let them grow.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9@
Good luck! I am going to try it out this winter. Thank you guys for the idea.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I just collected one that was too close to my house about ~3? :confused: weeks ago. Last week is started shooting buds.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 34

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here's a better pic of it this morning after some rain... Will carve some later this year. :)

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 32
Top Bottom