live oak leaf reduction

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a picture of the leaves on my live oak (Escarpment live oak originally collected in Texas) this spring. The tree has been worked extensively over the last year or so to induce heavier backbudding and leaf reduction. That work has resulted in tiny leaves all over. This tree has been surprising over the years. I had never really tried to get smaller leaves intentionally, but decided this year that I'd try.

Attachments

• oakleaves.jpg
    oakleaves.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 37

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This is a picture of the leaves on my live oak (Escarpment live oak originally collected in Texas) this spring. The tree has been worked extensively over the last year or so to induce heavier backbudding and leaf reduction. That work has resulted in tiny leaves all over. This tree has been surprising over the years. I had never really tried to get smaller leaves intentionally, but decided this year that I'd try.
Very nice!

In the past two years I had small leaves unintentionally. After the hurricanes my two live oaks were left to mother nature for about 18 months without being tended to at all. They both survived. This spring they sport some big young leaves. I hope they get back to growing soon. I still would like the trunk to grow just a little bit more.

Top Bottom