Live oak

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
May be a bit early, but I was inspired by Cajunrider's live oaks. I have 5 or 6 flagged oaks and decided to dig about number "3" on the list. This one has a smaller trunk coming out of the base. The base is about 4-5" in diameter. Most of that base was covered when it was repotted. I chopped it off maybe a bit high to allow for die off.

By the way, I find cut down kitty litter buckets to be just about the right sizeed grow box for most of the medium to large trees I collect.

100_2173.JPG100_2174.JPG100_2175.JPG

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
While I was out, I checked on this little green hawthorn. It was showing signs of life.......a few red, swollen buds and one lonely green leaf.........so I collected it also. Probably will chop it down further, but I
might just let it grow and see what I get.......maybe something a little literati-ish.

100_2176.JPG

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
May be a bit early, but I was inspired by Cajunrider's live oaks. I have 5 or 6 flagged oaks and decided to dig about number "3" on the list. This one has a smaller trunk coming out of the base. The base is about 4-5" in diameter. Most of that base was covered when it was repotted. I chopped it off maybe a bit high to allow for die off.

By the way, I find cut down kitty litter buckets to be just about the right sizeed grow box for most of the medium to large trees I collect.

View attachment 223506View attachment 223507View attachment 223508
While I was out, I checked on this little green hawthorn. It was showing signs of life.......a few red, swollen buds and one lonely green leaf.........so I collected it also. Probably will chop it down further, but I
might just let it grow and see what I get.......maybe something a little literati-ish.

View attachment 223516
Looking good.

PS: spacious back yard!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks.

Actually, I only own about 10 feet from the back of the bench. I tell people I have a beautiful back yard, but my neighbor keeps it up. LOL.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks.

Actually, I only own about 10 feet from the back of the bench. I tell people I have a beautiful back yard, but my neighbor keeps it up. LOL.
That's the best kind. All joy and no fuss.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Pretty interesting yard. If you look just to the left of the swing set, you'll see a figure there. It's a billy goat. Pretty impressive set of horns. He amuses himself by butting a volleyball around the yard while making strange noises.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
An update. I forgot I had posted this tree. It got chopped down to a more managable height and just allowed to grow. Quite a bit of growth since the middle of Jan. It's got pretty decent nebari. Getting decent taper is going to be a multi-year endeavor, for sure.

The sweet gum on the left was dug about a month ago. I found it on the edge of a pipeline right-of-way whacked off at the height you see there. It's got a few estabished branches and a few sprouts that I'll let grow. It should be an interesting long term project.

100_2240.JPG

Top Bottom