Living in Japan?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All I can say Is that I've been selling pots for years. I've been buying out collections, estate sales and even brought some Chinese pots from China itself. You might see a pile of junk from your lack of experience, but in that particular pile itself I see at least 2k profit. And there's dozens if not hundreds of piles like that.
Chances are that one of your trees might be sitting on a pot that came from a pile like that.

Good luck to all.
Nope.

I've been buying bonsai pots from Europe, Japan and China for years. Those are crap mostly. Two grand? Good luck

D

Deleted member 21616

@Steven1969s if pot importation and selling is something that interests you seriously, you should reach out to the usual sellers on the facebook bonsai auction pages.

these guys will gladly tell you how it's done, and will even give you their contacts. They will also tell you that it is not possible to make very much profit off this. They do it because they love it.

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My wife is from Japan, and when her mother passed away, we boxed up a lot of her mother’s furniture and household items to ship from Japan to the states. It’s a tremendous amount of work and cost to import items from Japan.

Working with the Japanese company to box up the items, get them loaded onto a shipping container, load the container onto the ship, and complete all of the outgoing customs forms and paperwork is easy since the Japanese shipping companies are so professional, efficient, and helpful. But it’s expensive.

Once it’s on the ship, you have to work with a Chinese company to get the container offloaded to the dock (Oakland or LA) and loaded into the warehouse to await customs and import duty paperwork. Expect a lot of headaches here. And cost.

Then once you pay your import duty, wade through all the red tape, and pay for the warehouse rental during this process, you have to arrange an American shipping company to ship the pallets of product to you.

There’s a lot of fixed cost in the process, so have to make up for it on volume. So you’ll have to calculate the profitability based on varying volume.

It sounds like you may have some experience in importing, but for everyone else who might want to import bulk product from Japan, it’s a tremendous amount of work, cost, and time. And it helps a lot if you can speak both Japanese and Mandarin.

I’m not trying to discourage anyone. Just make sure that you’re prepared for the time and cost involved.

Reaction score
All I can say Is that I've been selling pots for years. I've been buying out collections, estate sales and even brought some Chinese pots from China itself. You might see a pile of junk from your lack of experience, but in that particular pile itself I see at least 2k profit. And there's dozens if not hundreds of piles like that.
Chances are that one of your trees might be sitting on a pot that came from a pile like that.

Good luck to all.

This sounds like quite a story. Do you have a shred of proof?!?!

Top Bottom