Living rock planting

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
misc%20001_zps6lsxnjtj.jpg

A friend of mine use to have a nice bonsai garden years ago until he battled cancer/chemo and could no longer take care of it. He ended up selling off all his trees long ago but he had this "living rock" left that he just shipped to me and I now have it here. I've never really seen one before but he said he had it in a bonsai pot sitting on the soil, then you mist it every day and it will pop out green growth with lots of very tiny little flowers out of the rock itself.

It also has a hole in it for planting a different flower in the hole. the opening itself is about 3" x 3" so it's not really big enough to put a tree into so I'm stumped as to what would look nice planted in the hole of the rock. I thought maybe a violet would look nice in the opening once the rock started popping flowers/greenery, but I've never had luck with violets outdoors even sheltered from rain. Anyone have any suggestions of something that would look good planted on this?

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
misc%20003_zpssjpzhtoa.jpg

misc%20004_zpssqokp4s5.jpg

Went ahead and picked up a few small accents planks today and did a little planting with it. Figure I'll plant it like this for this summer and see if the rock itself starts flowering then decide if I want to change it next year after I see what the rock does. Kind'a nice like this for the time being.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Geo. I'm sort of a "Hosta nut" as well as Bonsai nut lol. Those in the pic are getting well established now (about 4-5 years old). I've got a Blue Angel Hosta in the front yard that is even bigger, probably about 5ft in diameter. Always room for more Hosta is my motto ;)

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A succulent would be good, there are so many to choose from. You might get some hanging/cascading types too. I would. Pretty cool, BTW.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Kinda like a Chia Rock....okay, I'm probably the only one with those holiday Chia Pet sounds in my head. Thankfully....now I've given that tune to you. Enjoy.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
"....now I've given that tune to you. Enjoy."

Chi chi chi chi...CHIA! ;)

Leo- The only name that was on the pot for that purple flower I bought said "Bishop Jewel". I asked my buddy that sent it to me if he knew the species of flower that the rock will grow or where the rock actually came from and he couldn't remember much about it, his memory hasn't been real good since the chemo treatments. All he could tell me was the flowers are super tiny when it does bloom, and that he thought it was from Hawaii or somewhere like that but he couldn't remember much else.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
"....now I've given that tune to you. Enjoy."

Chi chi chi chi...CHIA! ;)

Leo- The only name that was on the pot for that purple flower I bought said "Bishop Jewel". I asked my buddy that sent it to me if he knew the species of flower that the rock will grow or where the rock actually came from and he couldn't remember much about it, his memory hasn't been real good since the chemo treatments. All he could tell me was the flowers are super tiny when it does bloom, and that he thought it was from Hawaii or somewhere like that but he couldn't remember much else.
Cool, just post pictures, when it blooms, if I can I'll help you figure out the scientific name.

Top Bottom