Loblolly #1

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I still can’t believe I was able to talk my friend out of this fantastic LL although he has another of similar quality. This was collected in southeast Texas in 1973. All bends are natural and this actually is a root over rock. The rock was present at collection.

Yes it has long needles and no he never treated it as a multi flush pine aka JBP technique which I will be doing.

LL likes acidic soils with pH extremely similar to satsuki requirements. I’m going to repot in 50% Kanuma and 50% A/P/L. Water will be reverse osmosis, the same as what my satsuki’s love and thrive in. Also going to use yamagoki moss top layer and azalea fertilizer from microlife.

8ECDFB87-F359-4508-818D-36DB68538929.jpeg

6F033290-7EF5-4232-9CD3-CBBF3F7C523A.jpeg

Here’s its sibling.

A6702C7F-020F-47D7-AEA8-BD7B64E00470.jpeg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bad-Freaking-Ass man. This is only the third great loblolly I've ever seen. Even if the needles only reduce to half of that it's still awesome to have a native. Will be super interesting to see how it likes the candles being cut considering they push so many "rounds" of growth in a year

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Here’s a pic from 1981, about 8 years after collection. There are more pics from the collection time but they are still on slides and haven’t been converted yet but hopefully soon.

07F58113-3EA0-4035-B06D-A533E935D979.jpeg

Here’s the rock cleaned up.

463A3E5C-534D-4202-BA2F-01A3697BC970.jpeg

1F25ACA3-3B67-4127-BBE7-85823F121847.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Slides?!?! That brings back some memories!!! Like me on my Pop's motorcycle with a too-big helmet on and a bottle with the nip between my teeth!!!

Damn impressive for a loblolly!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Boom! I know you mad jelly after seeing these!! 🤣 Seriously though, it's awesome to see some loblolly bonsai. I plan on growing these in a more natural style as I see them in the area. Pretty much more upright and an almost flattop style. Not quite bald cypress flattop. I'm curious as to how he managed to maintain those proportions without chops. These want to be tall. Even juvenile forms are taller than what you have.

1584468530770.png
1584468573639.png

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Will start decandling June 20

That's about 2 weeks earlier than I'd do it if it were here (if I was only going to do it once at least (which I think is where I'd START)). I don't suspect our first frost dates are TOO dissimilar, so wonder why so early. Based on the fact that you say you're going to "start" decandling, am I right that you're going to decandle different sections every 10 days? If so, why'd you choose that method?

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
That's about 2 weeks earlier than I'd do it if it were here (if I was only going to do it once at least (which I think is where I'd START)). I don't suspect our first frost dates are TOO dissimilar, so wonder why so early. Based on the fact that you say you're going to "start" decandling, am I right that you're going to decandle different sections every 10 days? If so, why'd you choose that method?

June 20 is when we start decandling the weakest candles on jbp and finish July 4th. So if I was going to do it all at once I would do it in July4th for medium to large pines and July 20th for shohin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting. My lob isn't ready for decandling since it's so young, but I'm going to decandle one across he street as a way to gain some experience. With the temps here in SC I wasn't sure if this week would be a bit early. I have very little experience with decandling so pardon this question. What are the cons of decandling too early? I'd imagine that it would affect the timing of the fall shoot selection. I can't think of any other affects though.

Minor personal update. The larger of the two collected loblolly didn't make it. I guess I either didn't get enough root or it didn't like being bare rooted since it was basically in sand. Getting a root ball is a pipe dream. The smaller one has been bent despite my initial plan to allow it grow vertically as most do around here. I have over 10 seedlings though. I can go that route with some of those.

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
It’s all about needle length. If done too early needles will be too long and if done too late not only will the needles be too short for the over all aesthetics but can weaken the tree.

Last edited:

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
June 20 is when we start decandling the weakest candles on jbp and finish July 4th. So if I was going to do it all at once I would do it in July4th for medium to large pines and July 20th for shohin.

Do you use both decandling techniques (1 day vs. different stages 10 days apart)? If you do, why did you choose to decandle this one in stages?

(I'm not looking to argue. Genuinely interested in the reasoning.)

Top Bottom