Loblolly #1

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree--you've done very well with it. As I said earlier, don't see this species much. I ran across this link to a good one a while ago on Michael Hagedorn's site:

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wanted to chime in and say that the pot almost looks too small to me, first impression. Then I scrolled down and saw @Hartinez made an edit. That combo looks just right imo.

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
That must be on your end, Lance but here you go.

F29718BB-934D-4AF2-BD51-12210D419F29.png

46CDBFFE-4192-4040-8B6C-72C921811D9E.jpeg

I can see where you might want to shorten the apex but at the moment it’s grown out of style and I’m actually going to take the apex further up and out to the right for more asymmetry per Ryan Neil’s recommendations 😉

This loblolly is far from finished. Bud density and needle length is really the focus now, there is a bit of a t-bar from lowest two branches that need sorting out but waiting on a better finished silhouette

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That must be in your end, Lance but here you go.

View attachment 420611

View attachment 420612

I can see where you might want to shorten the apex but at the moment it’s grown out of style and I’m actually going to take the apex further up and out to the right for more asymmetry per Ryan Neil’s recommendations 😉
I like that idea. As it is right now it’s a really nice tree, but it does have what I would think to be a standard appearance for a pine. Extending that Apex up and off to the right would definitely give it a more unique look, especially considering it’s species. Just a question really, but do you think then removing the bottom left pad would help accentuate the primary branch on the bottom right? It would really sell the movement that you’re going for with the new Apex.

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I like that idea. As it is right now it’s a really nice tree, but it does have what I would think to be a standard appearance for a pine. Extending that Apex up and off to the right would definitely give it a more unique look, especially considering it’s species. Just a question really, but do you think then removing the bottom left pad would help accentuate the primary branch on the bottom right? It would really sell the movement that you’re going for with the new Apex.
Absolutely but here’s the rub, the branch above the lowest left pad is pulled down about as much as it can. There is a rear branch that could possibly be moved to the left to handle that negative space. The good news is 3 pro’s visiting my place this spring for things out of my skill-set that will give opinions on the direction I should take. It’ll be fun!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely but here’s the rub, the branch above the lowest left pad is pulled down about as much as it can. There is a rear branch that could possibly be moved to the left to handle that negative space. The good news is 3 pro’s visiting my place this spring for things out of my skill-set that will give opinions on the direction I should take. It’ll be fun!
A la ve 3 pros?!?!? Did you take out an extra mortgage on that sweet mountainside pad?!?! I’d say those guys will have some excellent suggestions, far better than what my meager ass could give!! Keep us updated and I can’t wait to see what this tree turns into!

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hope everyone likes the new pot, a Suzuki Syuzan. Opinions welcomed!

View attachment 420596
Excellent work! And thank you for the progression-photos. Regarding the pot, I think it's a better match. Even though the square sides indicate masculinity, it's shallow enough to accentuate the feminine curves of the trunk.

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Previous pot just wasn’t deep enough for this environment. Decided to play it safe and not decandle last summer as the tree showed early signs of desiccation. Responded well the remainder of the growing season after a few tweaks, keeping it moist and placed under 40% shade cloth with heavy fertilizer.

New used Gyozan.

6266C149-C1E3-4295-BA6D-B9A7FB9265EE.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
🤪😂WOW! Cousin IT. Loved pot but needed to be visibly deeper. New one still too shallow. Good save.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is an awesome example of powerful bonsai technique and the extreme temporary look of a "finished" tree, Rejuvenation, and eventually reapplication of technique to even greater effect.

I was my loblollys to grow up to be like this. I don't want to water 3x a day though 😂

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Late to the party here... I was going to comment about last year's re-pot by saying that it almost definitely was the first time in human history that a loblolly and a Suzuki pot paired up... and then you go and match it with a Gyouzan as an encore:D. That first pot is great but I was wondering how you would be able to keep it watered appropriately in your locale. The deeper pot will give you a bit of breathing room for sure. Great tree and pots!

Top Bottom