Loblolly Pine Pinus taeda

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking too.

I'm in Houston now! Until Sunday. I saw a Houston Garden Center near my hotel. All trees were 1/2 off. Can't wait to get down there in the morning while my wife sleeps in lol

Nice! What side of town? I have been to quite a few HGC for their annual sale.

@JRDillWFM join us brother! Or sister?.. it's a special club. These trees grow fast! It's nice after spending a few seasons with single flush Scots/mugo

I have a few of these guys growing tall over my back yard, so now I have a couple sprouting in my nursery trees. I'll post a photo of them later. Hopefully I can get them out of the containers their in and into their own little grow zone.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Nice! What side of town? I have been to quite a few HGC for their annual sale.

I'm not far from the NRG Center. In town for the huge Herbalife event. 25,000 of us here I believe. I'm not sure exactly what side of town lol but the Houston Garden Center is at west loop I believe. Hopefully there is an oak tree hiding somewhere lol

5345 West Loop S, Houston, TX 77081

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Oh cool you're on the opposite side of the city as me. Good luck finding a good, small oak there. Any that they have are usually really large. They will definitely have a ton of juniper and if you're into them, some thick trunk small boxwood. And you'll find out quick that there's always one really good employee there, and the rest just don't care.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
@JRDillWFM I'm hoping to get a large oak and ask them to cut it and seal it. Or a large shimpaku that's been untouched in the pot for 30 years lol

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Man if you find a Shimpaku you let me know! Typically they only have Nana, Blue Rug, and a couple other ground cover juniper.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@Johnathan if you have time while in town, there is a bonsai nursery I recommend visiting. It's about thirty minutes from you, but worth checking out while in town. Timeless Trees in Rosenberg. Hurley, the owner, is a great person in the community and has been a great resource for me.
Timeless Trees

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
@Johnathan if you have time while in town, there is a bonsai nursery I recommend visiting. It's about thirty minutes from you, but worth checking out while in town. Timeless Trees in Rosenberg. Hurley, the owner, is a great person in the community and has been a great resource for me.
Timeless Trees

I think we are going to swing down to Galveston Beach today, it's kinda on the way back lol I will try to see what I can get the wife to do lol

What about JRN Nursery? Anything about them?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
@JRDillWFM went to JRN and Houston Garden Center. JRN had some deciduous already in pots and some small black pines, but I think they were thunderhead.

@K5ATG sorry for derailing your thread. Maybe @Bonsai Nut can delete all of these unnecessary post for us?

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think we are going to swing down to Galveston Beach today, it's kinda on the way back lol I will try to see what I can get the wife to do lol

What about JRN Nursery? Anything about them?

JRN 2 is the main place with bonsai. I went about three weeks ago and they, for some odd reason, were pretty wiped out on bonsai. They have some awesome nursery material, a lot of production but decent pots...like, A LOT. They may have more in stock now, but it was unusually empty in the front bonsai area a few weeks ago. Could have possibly moved them for shade. I recommend stopping by. They are friendly there, just very quiet. They love when I show up with my baby, that's when I get the good deals!

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@Johnathan cool! Which JRN did you go to? Was there a big Jesus poster outside and extremely minimal parking? If so, that would be JRN 2.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One thing I will mention about Loblolly pine...

It is rumored to be a "two-flush" pine that will tolerate candle removal and will push a second set of candles in the same year (like Japanese black and red pines).

Can anyone confirm this?

Reactions: GGB

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Considering how many needles are in my back yard and the trees above are flush with bright new green needles, I'd say yes. Can't confirm, however.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here are three loblolly seedlings growing in some of my pots:
IMG_1320.jpg
IMG_1321.jpg
IMG_1322.jpg

The first one is growing in organic soil, so I'm pretty sure I can safely get it out and into a small pot. The other two are in inorganic bonsai soil. Not too sure how to get those guys out safely. Any tips?

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry I've been a little inactive. I'm on the board that puts on an amateur radio convention, now that its over I can return to life. Just a thought, would one have a higher success rate on bare rooting a loblolly in winter when the trees are dormant?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing I will mention about Loblolly pine...

It is rumored to be a "two-flush" pine that will tolerate candle removal and will push a second set of candles in the same year (like Japanese black and red pines).

Can anyone confirm this?
Confirm ;-)
It's a strong grower. The pics of the seedlings show just how strong they are. second growth on the spring candle with buds on that.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@bonsainut I'm North (only a 40/50 miles) of their natural range and I'm about to get my third flush of the season. I'd bet down South they get 4 flushes. Someone here told me they got 4 flushes in Virginia but I don't remember who

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
@JRDillWFM I'm pretty sure it was Nursery #2. They had a nice selection, but nothing that I was really looking for. The parking was very minimal and the wife started texting me as soon as I pulled up. I did see a couple black pines, but pretty sure they were Thunderhead, so I didn't even ask how much they were.

This is actually my 2nd loblolly, the first I came across like a month into the hobby, and it was pretty much ripped out the clay and thrown into a pot. Didn't last a week I dont think lol You can see it here:

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/pine-id-help-please.27335/

Now, I understand the caution of @GGB with the pie slice root technique, but like @K5ATG I'm curious to know if it could handle being barerooted early spring right as its coming out of dormancy. I think the biggest problem with my first loblolly was that I didn't have enough roots.... I'm thinking maybe dunking this one in a bucket of water and "shaking" the sand off might work as long as the roots arent ripped apart.

Anyone ever bare root one with success?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@GGB I fear when trying to remove it from the bag it's in, all of the sand will just come off :confused:

@TooCoys I bet Vermillion Parish has some hidden trees ready to be collected lol

@K5ATG yes I have been to a couple of meetings there. Very awesome group of people. I got a dawn redwood seedling from there at my first meeting! I've been to Tony's as well. Only once or twice. I went through the nursery phase, the best deals were on clearance section items. Also some good deals online auctions like the 99 cents auctions lol and now I'm ready to tackle the collecting phase. That seems to be the best bet in these parts.

I bet most of the best sites would be up near the Missouri/ Arkansas lines.

Anyway, the bad.... I think that top bend was fatal for the upper 1/2 of this tree, the good, seems to be plenty of branches budding from that bend area, wont be a problem at all recreating this movement, except now, it'll be more tapered!! :cool: everything below the break seems to be settling in and taking off!

On plus side wiring is not half bad. Likely correct that sand will fall off roots. Just give exemplary aftercare and should be OK;).

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/misc/ah_713.pdf

I'm pretty awful at computer stuff, if that link doesn't work it's worth copying and pasting. I have been reading about loblolly pine none stop all summer. There's supposedly thousands of published articles about it, since it's such an important crop to the south. Some of it is over my head but some stuff is really useful.

Typically we let pines get pretty dry between waterings but it looks like pinus taeda that were allowed to dry out to 20% moisture between waterings compared very poorly to those allowed to dry out only to 60% moisture. That take into account both needle and root growth, but the results were even more dramatic in trunk diameter, which is something i'd hate to short. Just thought I'd add that since this seems to be the most active thread on the species.
I've collected a few more since the thread started, hope you guys are still as excited as me. It looks like I'm getting 3 flushes on my potted guys and 4 on my "control pine" I have planted in the landscape. So next year is larger pots and a liberal dose of organics in the soil. I have had zero damage from over watering despite fully submerging all my guys for a week. The only time anything looked less than okay was when I moved a tree undercover (to dry out) during the biblical rains we had. I love these guys, kinda the opposite of what we think of pines

Top Bottom