Loblolly pine stump growth?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i was walking in the woods behind my house and found a young-ish loblolly pine. The trunk was about 2" in diameter and the tree was about 6 feet tall with only about 5 small branches growing from the very top. I dug out around the root ball until I was able to pull the tree out. It had two huge main roots that grew straight down (much like a tooth). Then I took it home and cut it down to about 14", trimmed the main roots (too fit in the pot because they were about 1ft long, and planted it. Do you think it will grow? I can take a picture when I get home if it will help.
Thanks in advance!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
From what you're describing, you got no feeder roots, and removed all the foliage from this pine?
If that's the case, I believe it has no chance of surviving.
Pines are tough to collect...they need to be taken mostly intact.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Pictures would help, but generally with pines you need to get everything, and it sounds like you cut a lot off. Pines get a lot of their strength from their roots. I'd say you have a 10% chance if that.

Edit: Brian beat me too it.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm with Brian on this one. There is no chance of survival. There are very few pines that can survive having all their foliage removed. Even with those species only very young trees have a chance of surviving.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Lol. Ok bad call I suppose. Learn something new everyday. This is why I'm here. Thanks guys!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If it was a Maple- probably you would be fine! As this is a Pine we are discussing... Umm you just killed it. What was appealing about this tree that made youd ecide to go get it?

No need to spend the time and energy collecting a tree unless it has suitable features for Bonsai- interesting low trunk movement, low branches, good shallow root spread. At least one or two of these things should be in place before you consider a tree as a good candidate to be collected. N

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yea the bottom of the trunk had a real "s" shape to it. I probably should of done more research I guess. Sorry for being such a newb. Sure won't do that again. I feel bad for killing the tree.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't feel bad. It's all part of learning. It sounds like it was starting to get shaded out anyway. Pines are usually more shade tolerant when they are young as they get older less so. The lanky growth was an indication that it didn't have enough light.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for not calling me a murderer. I appreciate the knowledge I've gained and hope to continue gaining from this site. thanks for the advice guys.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We are gathered here today to remember Loblolly pine, affectionately known to his friends as Lolly. He was a good pine spending most.............

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry, dark humour......you have learned a valuable lesson. Don't feel too down and remember research is the father of success.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Haha thanks! Lol I'll be sure to research before I go yanking a tree out of the ground and chopping it to bits lol

And I appreciate the humor lol

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No worries, pretty much everyone makes at least one big mistake and then never repeat it so better earlier than later

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
If it was a Maple- probably you would be fine! N

So if I wanted to get a head start on a JM, I could pick up a nursery stock and cut it down to a "stump" essentially and it will sprout? Or is that not ideal? I really want a red maple but they are kind of expensive to buy semi grown and I'd hate to kill it like I did to poor lolly...

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So if I wanted to get a head start on a JM, I could pick up a nursery stock and cut it down to a "stump" essentially and it will sprout? Or is that not ideal? I really want a red maple but they are kind of expensive to buy semi grown and I'd hate to kill it like I did to poor lolly...
By red Maple, do you mean red JAPANESE Maple, or a Red Maple indigenous to the US (Acer Rubrum)? The later are inexpensive and can be found in the wild all over the US, but they are not ideal bonsai candidates...

To answer your question, yes you should be able to cut back a JM to a stump and get some new growth! You can also knock their roots back to almost nothing if it is healthy and they will usually survive, especially if reducing the top at the same time. The roots and top will grow at a prolific rate when they are happy!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Also be aware that there are many cultivar of JM and some are better then others. Bloodgood maples are red BUT you really need to know what you doing to make it something decent as say better cultivars like seigen or deshojo. Also red leafed versions are slightly weaker and slower growing then green leafed types. I would honestly do lots of research as to what species of trees interest you and there care, and go from there.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Great thanks guys! I'll do some more research before I go any further. I appreciate the help! Really!

Camile Lima

Seedling
Reaction score
Lol! Yes working with Bonsai does sometime consist of being a tree murderer! Well, I found an adorable tiny loblolly pine in an outdoor plant bowl. It grew it's little self and was a great suprise. I dug it up and planted it's little self in its own new bowl and I pray it does well :) Good luck with yours. :)

Top Bottom