Local bonsai pots

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know of any local western North Carolina pot maker? I would like to have some pots from local artist, something to go along with collected natives.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is no doubt you could find pots in NC. Your state has more potters than any other state I know of. Check the Sea Grove community. There must be over 100 potters in a area no more than 10 miles square.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the best (IMO THE best) bonsai potters in the U.S. is in Wilmington (just south of it, in Boiling Springs Lake)

Ron Lang- http://www.langbonsai.com/ - moved down that way a couple of years ago from Pa. I have been a regular customer of his for going on something like 20 years. I miss not being able to go to one of his kiln openings by driving only two hours. He has been working with Ryan Neil on progressive containers and hasn't been at local shows...bummer

His pots are expensive, but you will not find a better constructed or designed bonsai pot in the U.S. Nor will you find glazes and finishes on pots that are more suited for bonsai. They are not traditional and match native species-- If you have the $, investing in one of his pots (Even if your tree may not be all that), is not a mistake. The pot will be useful down the line, believe me.

If it were me, I wouldn't be futzing around trying to convince non-bonsai potters to make you a bonsai pot. I've done that. Not worth the time or the (sometimes) annoying discussions with potters who don't "do" bonsai. You will wind up with a casserole dish with holes in the bottom and a glaze that goes with ham--or a potter who believes "subverting" their work to be secondary to a tree is beneath them...

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @rockm i will look him up, I figured I wasn’t going to find cheap. But I do not want cheap either, sounds like he has some cool stuff.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I join her mailing list, so when she makes new ones I can see what she has. Thanks.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I believe Dean Bullock is down that way somewhere too. He is on facebook and Instagram.

Top Bottom