Local Pines Spring 2021

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
These little ones won’t qualify for the JBP contest, but I figured I will post them here to document their progress. When I started my bonsai journey approximately 11 years ago, I was not aware of Bonsainut, nor had any inclination of “recording” my progress.
So here we are...

These seedlings were grown from seed on February 14th 2021.

The ones with the shorter needles and propagated more are Jeffrey Pine. I collected the cones from the trees surrounding our local church.

The ones with the longer needles and propagated less are Canary Island Pine. I collected the cones from the tree in front of the office.

There’s a few Bristlecone Pine seeds that were planted in the middle, but I don’t think they will be propagating. Maybe I waited too long to plant them... 75AEE46D-7F03-411E-AE80-8660DC1CDE5E.jpeg574D5333-90D4-4DF9-8F38-FAD258B1D4F9.jpeg922F7509-3021-4822-8D55-C46C6DFF89EA.jpeg

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bu,
Have you thought about chopping the heads off of the seedlings?
Sounds crazy, doesn't it? But prepare to be amazed.
There are a lot of threads on this technique, but @cmeg1 seems to be doing it best. Go take a look at this thread Pine seedlings
CW

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Bu,
Have you thought about chopping the heads off of the seedlings?
Sounds crazy, doesn't it? But prepare to be amazed.
There are a lot of threads on this technique, but @cmeg1 seems to be doing it best. Go take a look at this thread Pine seedlings
CW
Apologies for the late reply... I've only messed around with cutting the tap root. HOWEVER, a few pesky birds thought they could do the job for me, so a few of these younglings did have their heads plucked off.
Will post photos soon!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep screen over these until well established.

Top Bottom