Local volunteer tree. Need identification

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Found a tree just growing at my parent's place. I would like to stay native like I've always been told ;) I have no idea what this tree is or if I should even look at it for bonsai.
I live in the Pacific Northwest
IMG_1741.JPGIMG_1742.JPGIMG_1743.JPG

Also I do realize that it probably doesn't work well for bonsai. BUT if it isn't a terrible choice, it is free material.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It appears to be our native sambucus…..very fast growing with beautiful red fruit when ripe. Allegedly the fruit is edible once cooked. They do eventually get a very woody trunk, but it would most likely require a large bonsai to fell appropriate with the leaves.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Aka, elderberry. The fruit makes good wine or jelly, terrible fresh though.
I'm thinking the trunks are hollow like bamboo, could be wrong though. Not sure how well that would work for bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trunks on elderberry aren’t hollow but, in my experience they die back easily. I grow it (not for bonsai) and had 2 decent sized trunks die all the way back to the ground this past winter.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The heart is pithy and easy to hollow out, making it a favorite for flutes. I eat the berries right off the tree. You have to wait for them to get really ripe. Lol, they are a bit tart, but near as bad as Oregon Grape!
Really doesn't offer anything in the way of bonsai, but maybe a nice patio tree.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The heart is pithy and easy to hollow out, making it a favorite for flutes. I eat the berries right off the tree. You have to wait for them to get really ripe. Lol, they are a bit tart, but near as bad as Oregon Grape!
Really doesn't offer anything in the way of bonsai, but maybe a nice patio tree.
How do you keep the birds from eating them before you?!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can also make tea from the flowers opened/unopened. Antioxidants, etc..

Top Bottom