Lodge Pole Pine no.1

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So interesting today I was looking at this tree seeing how it was doing after it’s heavy bend.. I realized on the new shari that I was working on a tiny hole.
DB28E6F5-97AF-499D-A3D8-A93AA5F9D03F.jpeg
Low and behold I used a wire to see how deep it was and I could get anything to impale.. I used a small tool to peel away the bark and ta da
Caught the sucker in action .. long body .. flat head. 4714A8DC-E0E2-4B0A-BC55-73CFD530DA05.jpeg
luckily it was chewing at mostly dead wood so I carved the rest out and sealed the perimeter.. hopefully I saved this tree and I think it looks better .. I get a pic of the aftercare tomorrow
I went around my conifers to see if there was any bleeding or saw dust anywhere. I’ll do another glance tomorrow in the backyard. But I think the remaining conifers are safe.. hopefully. I think it was the exposed new deadwood that drew it to the tree.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
And it had scare before then too.. I just think not all western conifers can do well here on east coast for me only Colorado blue spruce , black hills spruce , and ponderosa do well .

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Likely is true🤔however personally suspect trees demise caused by training damage instead of one small grub maybe only eating dead wood:confused:.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
* scale … oh well focus on my alive conifers. And you should post your own treees too … you’re like a hang around at 1% club

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to hear that the tree succumbed. In retrospect, do you think the sap you noticed in July 2022 was caused by the weevil?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry to hear that the tree succumbed. In retrospect, do you think the sap you noticed in July 2022 was caused by the weevil?
Potentially and I just didn’t see it in time , I think it started with the scale infestation , poor soil conditions I should have repotted that spring of 2022.. the soil was all broken down and poor drainage .. followed by my heavy bend that weakened it then cascaded to the borer which eventually was the final nail in the coffin

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Man that’s tough! I’m sorry to hear this and feel your pain. I had a couple decent trees not make it over winter.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Man that’s tough! I’m sorry to hear this and feel your pain. I had a couple decent trees not make it over winter.
No biggie I have other native pines that are closer to my home environment so not as much adjustment like the high Rockies mt species

Top Bottom