Logwood/Campeche/Bloodwood auction to (partially) benefit B-Nut.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
After consulting and getting clearance from Greg (B-Nut), I am doing an auction for some of my tropical trees due to lack of room both in my outside area and inside my garage during winter.

Winning bidder to send 20% of the winning bid to Greg and 80% to me plus shipping. The 20% hopefully will keep the lights on here (rather than paying eBay) and hopefully we can have fun doing so. This is a 5 day auction to the time this is started.

Please note that I cannot ship to CA. Others, please check that it is legal for you to receive trees from TX. Thank you.

This logwood was collected and imported from Puerto Rico on November, 2011 (one of my very first tree). It was chopped and roughly "carved"/"shaped" using my concave cutter. Foliage is reduced today but should have new sprouts by next week. Please note the deadwood which IMHO is pretty obvious on the pics.

This tree is in almost 99% ORGANIC soil and a very thirsty tree, I treat it almost like cypress. It needs winter protection below 50*F. Please buy this only if you can provide the tree proper winter protection.

Shipping will be actual cost. I haven't shipped any big tree recently but I think this would be around $50 or more via USPS Priority.

Please check the pics and ask any questions before bidding. Thank you!!!

REMEMBER, YOU WILL BE HELPING B-NUT BY DONATING 20% OF THE WINNING BID! :)

EDIT 8/12/2013 11:30 am central time: I am pruning this tree to this tonight. I just do not want the new growth going to the wrong place. I sincerely think this action will produce a better tree. Any of the 2 current bidders an retract their bids.

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pic 5 looks like a great front. The winner could radically carve the back. They would then have two fronts with a really big difference.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pic 5 looks like a great front.

In my opinion, the best front is between the first and last pics of post #1. Especially if the winner can carve it properly. I'll try to snap a pic later & post. I just took these at uniform(ish) interval.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Poink88,

Good on you. I am finally 100% tropical free and intend to stay that way. Good luck on the auction.

Regards,
Martin

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am finally 100% tropical free and intend to stay that way.

Thanks Martin. I can understand that. :)

I have close to 30 tropical (plus a few cuttings) right now. I love them but no space for all of them. :(

Depending on how this goes, I have 2 more I considered posting here (same deal). :)

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Poink88,

Good on you. I am finally 100% tropical free and intend to stay that way. Good luck on the auction.

Regards,
Martin

Martin I just made you some ficus cuttings. i'll bring them next meeting for you!

See ya soon,

Jason Mazzocchio

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would be cool to see it hollowed out with little "windows" to see inside. Then paint the inside with black ink to really show the depth perception to viewers.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Martin I just made you some ficus cuttings. i'll bring them next meeting for you!

See ya soon,

Jason Mazzocchio

Jason,

You are a blessing in disguise. A friend in need.

I wonder if Arthur will miss me....

Regards,
Martin

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you ever left one of these outside during the winter to see if it would act deciduous like Texas ebony?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you ever left one of these outside during the winter to see if it would act deciduous like Texas ebony?

At around 46*F the leaves started to have "wind burn". Something my TE never exhibited so I bring these in. That is the lowest I exposed them to.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read that in the mid 30's they would drop their leaves and flush out new growth when it warmed back up. I got this info from florida growers as this tree is becoming popular there. The duration of the cold snap I have not been able to find any info on. If you don't mind I would like to get this tree. Exposé it to a lite frost then store in my garage this winter. If it lives and comes back out in the spring we could all have a new species to use. Your existing stock would then become more valuable.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you win, you can do anything to it....even experiment. ;) I (as well as the community) would appreciate result feedback if you do...good or bad. Thank you.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lets start this then. Mr Hyde is hungry. $30

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would totally partake in this but it would appear as if this tree would t fit under my lights. This should be going to a nice Florida home I think. Sawgrass?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lets start this then. Mr Hyde is hungry. $30

I hope others join in or you'll have a steal. I have more than 5x that on this tree (excluding supplies and my time).

I'd be honest, I do not like the leader (and most of the branches) and if you win, I suggest you chop it back to stubs and re-build. If you do, you will have a much nicer tree in a short while.

Full it back to something like this. Then re-build new & better branches.
View attachment 39899

With your permission, being the sole bidder, can I do this reduction now?
It will also make shipping a bit easier. LOL

Last edited:

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm reluctant to bid because I'd like to see the others you might have for sale. I really only want one. But cheap is cheap.

$65.00

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm reluctant to bid because I'd like to see the others you might have for sale. I really only want one.

Thanks.

I planned on posting more but with the activity (or lack thereof) made me re-consider. For what it is worth, I personally think out of the 3 that I am selling, this is the best...of course that is just my opinion. :)

My offer stands by the way to meet up for free delivery if you can wait (I only go down the valley about once a month though).

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tree is further reduced as shown (virt) on the OP but a bit less foliage. It looks uglier now, but should produce a better tree in the future. It is a sacrifice for a worthy cause.

As mentioned, any of the previous bidders can retract their bid. I'll cover the difference towards B-Nut if the winning bid goes lower that it is now.

Top Bottom