Logwood/Campeche/Bloodwood claimed by my daughter

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am working on this today and my daughter asked if she can have it. What can I say? :eek:

This is about 18" high from soil with trunk a bit less than 2". One of my skinnier trees. :D Nebari is decent and will display okay but not radially uniform.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks cool. What's the story behind it? Is this one of your trees that you collected?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Logwood, being a tropical species, is not local to us. This is imported from Puerto Rico last year. Most of the branches (including the main leader) you see are built from small (like 1/16") twigs. They grow and bulk up very fast. After this picture was taken, I actually went back and clipped a couple more branches that I didn't like (too straight, in wrong area, etc.).

The old wood is very hard (Kathy Shaner actually learned this the hard way last year and ended with jagged edged concave cutters during a bring your own tree class) and have very nice yellow-orange to red heartwood. Depending on timing and wet conditions, the tree may also "bleed" sap that looks like blood (on new cut areas)...thus the name blood wood. Wood chips were and still used for coloring/dye and "herbal" medicine. Growing wise, it is comparable to Brazilian rain tree in many respects.

All in all, a very cool tree but require winter protection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom