Long distance moving plan

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm probably moving across the country this year from the West Coast to the East Coast.

Setting aside all questions of legality, how would you prep your trees for such a transport (think several days of driving with no light and little water)?

I was thinking of defoliating everything as soon as I left, which would give me a couple of days before the trees got sad from lack of light and/or water.

I was also thinking of slip potting everything into high-moisture retention soil to help with dryness.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've purchased and had shipped smaller to medium sized trees, some of which that were stuck in transit for over a week (7+ days). From what I could tell, as long as the roots didn't dry out, they would survive. For the times that transit only took 4-5 days, some came out the box looking ok--I think I once had two maples get unhappy later, which showed on the foliage. Good luck if you do move!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I moved from MA to GA in late June years ago. I didn't do anything other then water the pots and get them into the 26 ft moving van. There was a LOT in there and I think that help as every time I opened the trailer, it felt like a tropical green house. Anyway, the move took 2 days in mid 90s temps, I didn't water, and the soil was still moist in every pot.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I concur with @Dav4 and I bet @Bonsai Nut chimes in as well since he moved a long distance recently. While my length was not as long, (St Louis to Nashville) my trees stayed in a UHAUL truck for days and no issues. I had extra boxes and found it easier to actually box them up. That way I could stack them on top of themselves. I wrapped the soils so I could lay them sideways in a box, if need be. Some of the larger trees didn’t get boxed and a few were in the car with me and the dog.

Funny story, the literati elm that I boxed up (pic below) didn’t get opened for like two weeks and I damn near threw the box away thinking there was nothing in it.

Miraculously, the tree lived.

I found the process to be much to do about nothing, tbh, other than just the physical labor associated with moving 100+ trees. 😂😂

0446C55C-27B4-45A4-A87B-7BFEAABFC23F.jpeg33B4A5E1-076B-4215-93BE-C214E6ACD495.jpeg9621818A-2538-4974-AF03-C464CD7F6193.jpegACEDE476-044F-471F-B338-9BD9A4B01C11.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not schedule up with other Bonsai Folks to continue driving while you sleep? I'd sign up for a leg!

F several days, not for the trees, f the trees!
For you!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Setting aside all questions of legality, how would you prep your trees for such a transport (think several days of driving with no light and little water)?
Do you know what season? How you prep your trees will vary greatly based on how hot / cold you think they will get.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I send a lot of trees by post. Some customers are concerned about trees dying en route but we have not had that. I was also concerned about mid summer shipping as we get really scorching hot summers here but fears proved groundless. Trees can survive up to a week in a dark box where they would normally be watered twice a day here. I suspect they use far less water when it is dark compared to in sunshine.
Occasionally the posties misplace a box or I have made some mistake with the address. If the trip takes longer than a week the leaves start to go yellow but soon color up again after going back into the sun. none have died from transport so far.
Some dormant deciduous that were sent bare root have been returned here after 2 weeks in transit. I planted some to see whether they would survive. All of them grew fine the following spring (trident maple seedlings)

Most trees are far more resilient than many of us think so do not worry too much.

Water everything well before packing them and, if possible, wrap the pots in plastic bags which not only conserves water but also hold soil in if they tip over when packing or on the journey.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I concur with @Dav4 and I bet @Bonsai Nut chimes in as well since he moved a long distance recently. While my length was not as long, (St Louis to Nashville) my trees stayed in a UHAUL truck for days and no issues. I had extra boxes and found it easier to actually box them up. That way I could stack them on top of themselves. I wrapped the soils so I could lay them sideways in a box, if need be. Some of the larger trees didn’t get boxed and a few were in the car with me and the dog.

Funny story, the literati elm that I boxed up (pic below) didn’t get opened for like two weeks and I damn near threw the box away thinking there was nothing in it.

Miraculously, the tree lived.

I found the process to be much to do about nothing, tbh, other than just the physical labor associated with moving 100+ trees. 😂😂

View attachment 348477View attachment 348478View attachment 348479View attachment 348480
Good ideas. Makes sense. Every tree I've ordered online has the soil wrapped like that.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I send a lot of trees by post. Some customers are concerned about trees dying en route but we have not had that. I was also concerned about mid summer shipping as we get really scorching hot summers here but fears proved groundless. Trees can survive up to a week in a dark box where they would normally be watered twice a day here. I suspect they use far less water when it is dark compared to in sunshine.
Occasionally the posties misplace a box or I have made some mistake with the address. If the trip takes longer than a week the leaves start to go yellow but soon color up again after going back into the sun. none have died from transport so far.
Some dormant deciduous that were sent bare root have been returned here after 2 weeks in transit. I planted some to see whether they would survive. All of them grew fine the following spring (trident maple seedlings)

Most trees are far more resilient than many of us think so do not worry too much.

Water everything well before packing them and, if possible, wrap the pots in plastic bags which not only conserves water but also hold soil in if they tip over when packing or on the journey.
Great to hear, thank you!

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What state are you moving too? The weather is a lot different over on the right coast. I have to imagine there's going to be a lot of trees that won't be happy over here unless you are moving pretty far south

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What state are you moving too? The weather is a lot different over on the right coast. I have to imagine there's going to be a lot of trees that won't be happy over here unless you are moving pretty far south
7B. I actually don't have a lot of super cold-sensitive trees.

JeffMiller

Seed
Reaction score
I see you wanted to move in January. However, winter isn't appropriate for such changes. Early spring and fall are the best times to move trees. Besides, several days of driving with no light and little water are wrong! On the contrary, you need to reduce stress to plant roots with enough liquid. This way, you'll help keep the root ball intact.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Besides, several days of driving with no light and little water are wrong!
This isn't a big concern. Trees get shipped in the mail all the time with zero light or water over a week and are just fine.

Bringing them in your car with some light over a few days is even gentler.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This isn't a big concern. Trees get shipped in the mail all the time with zero light or water over a week and are just fine.

Bringing them in your car with some light over a few days is even gentler.
Ryan Neal does this with big valuable bonsai via his Wagon Train truck which transports to the Nationals here on the East Coast. He also, shipping big trees from his sales this way. A couple of days in a truck isn't going to make a huge difference, of course you have to insure they're well watered. I've hauled big trees from Texas to Va. in a care. It's a two day trip by road, one if you're insane and like amphetamines.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was super anxious to move my trees halfway across the country during summer through a desert. With a little planning it was really no big deal. Commercial nurseries move plants all across this country and world (fortunately/unfortunately).

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see you wanted to move in January. However, winter isn't appropriate for such changes. Early spring and fall are the best times to move trees. Besides, several days of driving with no light and little water are wrong! On the contrary, you need to reduce stress to plant roots with enough liquid. This way, you'll help keep the root ball intact.
It always baffles me what people decide to dig up from the depths of the forum. Judging from @Mikecheck123 's new profile location, the move already happened!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
maybe...

Attachments

• 96e655f192f9a1ffe21d5883574f8498--plant-containers-garden-container.jpg
    96e655f192f9a1ffe21d5883574f8498--plant-containers-garden-container.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
It looks like your move has already happened, but I can tell you about my experience, in case you ever need it again. I bought packing material and unbreakable containers for transplanting in advance. The week before moving I transplanted them into plastic pots, just for the time they adapted. A couple of days before I moved them into the dark box, again for adaptation. Must say, that not all, but the majority of my plants arrived safely. You can also call moving companies and ask if they have a plant shipping service. In my city I turned to moving services, I`m sure you can look for something affordable for the rates in your area.

Top Bottom