Long leg Spiders

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have called them Granddaddy Long legs growing up. I see them on many of my trees this year. Seem like more on the evergreen than others. The trees don't seem to be affected by them either. Do they cause problems for the trees and if so what is the best way to get rid of them?

Thanks,
Michael

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You probably want to keep them around. They tend to eat a lot of small pests, such as aphids. I have always guessed that they generally hang around where their food source is. If you're seeing a lot of them in one place, try to figure out what they're eating. But try to keep the daddy long legs around so long as they aren't being a nuisance. A large population of them should give your trees some level of small pest resistance.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The "daddy long legs" you're probably seeing aren't really "daddy long legs" spiders, or spiders at all. There is a lot of confusion about this. "Harvestmen" are more common than Daddy long legs:

http://www.backyardnature.net/longlegs.htm

Harvestmen eat a lot of other insects and don't harm plants. They probably like your evergreen because there are mites in them.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If they are winged spiders they are probably Cranefly,another daddy long legs.

My old bathroom used to house incredibly long legged spiders with miniature bodies,some kind of cave spider.

If these things in your tree have stinging tentacles they may be the very rare flying jellyfish.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies, sounds like they are harmless whatever they are. I think they are 2 color, and very fast. I will let them be as they are most likely helping me.

Thanks,
Michael

Top Bottom