Long lived Chrysanthemum bonsai?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Beside Chrysanthemum nipponicum, are there any other species with woody trunks that can be trained into long lived bonsai?
When I was in California, I saw quite a few Chrysanthemum trees that look quite old at a Buddhist temple. They were about 3 ft tall and have woody gnarly trunks. I wonder what type of Chrysanthemum they were.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Chrysanthemum Nipponicum is no longer considered a chrysanthemum and has been moved to its own genus, it is now Nipponanthemum nipponicum. There are no chrysanthemum's with a perennial wood trunk I know of. There are trees in a closely related family called Olearia but I have no information regarding there use as bonsai

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Chrysanthemum Nipponicum is no longer considered a chrysanthemum and has been moved to its own genus, it is now Nipponanthemum nipponicum. There are no chrysanthemum's with a perennial wood trunk I know of. There are trees in a closely related family called Olearia but I have no information regarding there use as bonsai
Thanks for the info regarding the change in classification.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There are long lived woody chrysanthemum. Several hybrids or cultivars are maintained by King's Mum's.
'Chidori', 'Hatsune', 'Koto no Kaori' and 'Yukari' are my favorites that they have listed now.

They are woody, if kept frost free, wood will last 5 or more years, possibly much longer than 10 years. I don't know if botanically these are "true" chrysanthemum, but a mum supplier lists them as mums.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are long lived woody chrysanthemum. Several hybrids or cultivars are maintained by King's Mum's.
'Chidori', 'Hatsune', 'Koto no Kaori' and 'Yukari' are my favorites that they have listed now.
These varieties are all offered here by Pitoon. I bought several and they are does great.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
These varieties are all offered here by Pitoon. I bought several and they are does great.
Awesome. It appears I'll need to hookup with Pitoon whenever I am ready. Right now I am curious but got so many things going on.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He also has Nippon Daisy but I am in a no buy mode right now. I am too busy doing the great plant migration with my tropicals.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have plenty of Nippon's, some of this year's cuttings will bloom this fall so they are strong growers.

For the Dwarf chrysanthemums I only have 'Yukari' left. Some also are setting flower buds. Unfortunately the season is over for taking cuttings......now it's time to enjoy the flowers.

Both Nippon's and the dwarf chrysanthemums will bark up fairly quick. They are a bit more maintenance, but you are rewarded in return with really nice flowers. In your location, I don't believe you will have issues with them.

If you want Nippon's they are ready, but for the Dwarf chrysanthemums you will have to wait till next spring. King's mums also sells the chrysanthemums, but they have a short window for taking orders. I will grow usually two crops depending on the demand.

Nippon's
20210921_133338.jpg20210921_133433.jpg

Dwarf chrysanthemums 'Yukari'
20210921_133451.jpg
20210921_133518.jpg

Nippon trunk (3yrs)
20210915_183614.jpg

Dwarf chrysanthemum (cutting from this year)
20210921_133654.jpg

Normal and Dwarf chrysanthemum side by side
1632247165263.png

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
How are you going to overwinter yours? Mine won't make it outside for winter. It's either in the garage with the azaleas or inside with the trops. Not sure what is the best choice.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How are you going to overwinter yours? Mine won't make it outside for winter. It's either in the garage with the azaleas or inside with the trops. Not sure what is the best choice.
I was wondering the same thing. I don't really want to emergency-build a cold frame (even though I probably should) - don't have as much time as I used to (1 and 3 year olds are giving me a run for my money).

I have a shed, but it's kind of falling apart; I put min-max thermometers inside and outside, and so far have only seen about a 1.5° F low temp difference.

Since buying the Nippons from @Pitoon I've noticed a few in landscapes around here, but I'm sure they are dying back in the winter.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A garage or basement should be fine to over winter them. They won't need any light, but you do have to check the substrate and ensure it doesn't dry out.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just catching up here and have some space and empty pots after my long vacation, these caught my attention.
do you know if these will thrive in a hot and humid 9B?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just catching up here and have some space and empty pots after my long vacation, these caught my attention.
do you know if these will thrive in a hot and humid 9B?
Zone 5-9....they can stay out all year down in your area.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
A garage or basement should be fine to over winter them. They won't need any light, but you do have to check the substrate and ensure it doesn't dry out.
My garage is detached and unheated. But my crapes and an azalea did OK last year.

Top Bottom