Looking at buying Chinese elm

Jocofat

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6578E357-A463-468A-9BE0-804146FF13BB.png
They say it’s about 8 years old. And want 80 bucks. Do you think that’s a good price?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree that leaves are way too big for Chinese elm. Without a close look at the leaves and terminal buds I can't Id accurately but I'd guess some other elm species. Possibly Siberian elm over there.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it is another elm, you can't really tell from the growth, which points to overworked IMO. Maybe whatever it is.

Tell em to throw in the Lion Picture! And whatever the hell that little Blue thing is!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did this person say that it was a Chinese elm? If they did, I would be really leery about buying from them.
A good point. If they can't tell a chinese elm from a beech, could be they have nothing to actually sell...I'd ask where they got this tree. Beech are not common in mass market bonsai.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ask for a photo of the tree with something that you can confirm the date on. For example a newspaper, magazine cover, or Olympics coverage on TV :)

That tree has to be kept outside, and the photo of it is sitting in someone's house. Too many questions - but you may know more about the seller and their bonafides.

Assuming everything is legit, I'd pay $80 for it. The pot is worth $20. Tree is worth more, and was styled by someone who knows bonsai.

Forestcat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ask for a photo of the tree with something that you can confirm the date on. For example a newspaper, magazine cover, or Olympics coverage on TV :)

That tree has to be kept outside, and the photo of it is sitting in someone's house. Too many questions - but you may know more about the seller and their bonafides.

Assuming everything is legit, I'd pay $80 for it. The pot is worth $20. Tree is worth more, and was styled by someone who knows bonsai.
"something that you can confirm the date on"

Sounds like you're saying the tree is being held hostage? ;-)

Top Bottom