Looking for 3 foot T5 florescent fixtures for growing...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been trying to find one of these 4 bulb, T5 fixtures in a 3 foot length for growing indoor bonsai and I'm having no luck...

1547137127102.png

Before I order this light, I figured I'd ask those with a bit more experience, do you know of anywhere I could get a 3' fixture? They are all on a 3' wide shelving unit and I want to maximize the amount of light my trees are getting. The 2' grow lights I have now are creating 6 inch "dead zones" on each side of the growing area.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided...
-Vin

Last edited:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe these will work

I've never seen 3 foot t5s, only thought they were as small as 2' and 4'. It might be one of those things that 3' t5s are such a limited product, that replacement bulbs are going to be more expensive than 2' or 4' bulbs, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: maybe they're not more expensive

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In my searches a while back I was able to find one, but I just don't remember where I saw it. My shelves are 3 foot so it would be great to find one to fill the entire underside of the shelf...
-Vin

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The link I posted has 3' t5 single bulb fixtures

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That website has a lot of cool stuff and that's where I got my last HID light. I could endlessly scroll through their website :cool::cool::cool:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The thing is, I'm looking for a 4 bulb fixture but all I'm managing to find are single bulb fixtures... :(
-Vin

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get yourself a HO T5 UV bulb or two or 10. I think they only come in 2 and 4' but from what I understand the light they put out is fainter but it is more usable/absorbable by plants. Whatever it is, I've been growing under them for two seasons now, and everything loves it.

1x 2' 8 bay HOt5 4x4 6400/Full Spectrum UV growing
1 4' 8 bay HOt5 4x4 6400/Full Spectrum UV growing
3 single HOt5 1 Full Spectrum UV/2 6400 propagation

Best results in years. I've been growing indoors for 5 years? now. And without going into the CMH or MH or HPS lights, this does me just fine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Get yourself a HO T5 UV bulb or two or 10. I think they only come in 2 and 4' but from what I understand the light they put out is fainter but it is more usable/absorbable by plants. Whatever it is, I've been growing under them for two seasons now, and everything loves it.

1x 2' 8 bay HOt5 4x4 6400/Full Spectrum UV growing
1 4' 8 bay HOt5 4x4 6400/Full Spectrum UV growing
3 single HOt5 1 Full Spectrum UV/2 6400 propagation

Best results in years. I've been growing indoors for 5 years? now. And without going into the CMH or MH or HPS lights, this does me just fine.

I have a 2' SunBlaze, 2 bulb HOT5 fixture running now, and yes, the plants under it are doing great. I'd just like a 3 footer to maximize my growing area because I'm only using 2 shelves for now.

Thanks for all of your suggestions...
-Vin

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a 2' SunBlaze, 2 bulb HOT5 fixture running now, and yes, the plants under it are doing great. I'd just like a 3 footer to maximize my growing area because I'm only using 2 shelves for now.

Thanks for all of your suggestions...
-Vin

I say experiment and tweak your setup until you get it right. And become friends with hydroponic stores if possible. Horticultural passion breaks boundaries and gets you discounts!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I say experiment and tweak your setup until you get it right. And become friends with hydroponic stores if possible. Horticultural passion breaks boundaries and gets you discounts!

There is a very popular store here in Richmond that sells grow lights and such, but they aren't cheap. I also want to find a 3 footer so I can check the measurements to make sure it will fit under my shelf.

Those PowerVeg lights look AMAZING!!!

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a very popular store here in Richmond that sells grow lights and such, but they aren't cheap. I also want to find a 3 footer so I can check the measurements to make sure it will fit under my shelf.

Those PowerVeg lights look AMAZING!!!

I try to support brick and mortar as much as I can. Repeat business, passion, and a half-decent attitude can get you lower prices.

The PowerVeg are amazing.

Downside, 2x the price of a regular HOT5 6400 and burn out quicker, but.. BUT.... trees love them so much.

For instance... when all my tropicals were brought in from the outside to inside, I maybe seen a 1% if not less leaf drop/shedding. Didn't do any special cutting light dance or anything.
I also repotted a bunch of ficus cuttings that were approx 2 years old. Removed about 80% of the roots, barely touched the canopy. maybe a couple leaves went dry and fell off. Ficus Wiandi, got 2 rooted cuttings last winter. They grew as much under 2 1/2 months of lights as they did all summer. Ficus "Too Little" notoriously slow grower, is basically exploding with growth all winter.

Rooting. I can get you roots on any ficus in one week with proper humidity and these lights.

I live in the northern lands, it's cold and shitty in the winter. These lights really help my tropicals over the grey months. My experience, could be different from yours. Took me about 4 years to find what works for me. For now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I also have a "Too Little" Ficus under my 2', 2 bulb T5, as well as a "Kiki" Ficus, Chinese Sweet Plum, orchids, and even a "Variegated" Ficus and they are all growing like crazy.

My Fukien Tea trees and a Mistletoe Ficus are under my 19W Feit Electric Grow light and they are only doing ok.

I want the largest lights that will fit as I'm going to be attaching them to the bottom of the shelves. The shelves are roughly 36" x 16" or so...

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have zero experience with Fukien Tea, but what I do know is them ficus' love as much light and humidity as possible.

Do your shelves have open sides? if so you can stick multiple 4 ft single tube HOT5's daisy chained and have them stick out the sides. That way when you eventually upgrade your space, you'll have larger lights to use. The single tube ballasts also come with integrated reflectors which can be used with any HOT5 bulb. Also from what I understand the light intensity? on florescents whether HOT5 or regular T5 or whatnot is weaker on the ends.

FWIW all my single tubes are without refelectors, but they are approx 2-4" from the crowns of the trees. Since I only have 3 bulbs. Two 6400 and one UV, they run very cool and I've never had any leaf burn or curl or heat stress issues. Mind you I do have osscillating fans gowing and it's in my basement.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have zero experience with Fukien Tea, but what I do know is them ficus' love as much light and humidity as possible.

Do your shelves have open sides? if so you can stick multiple 4 ft single tube HOT5's daisy chained and have them stick out the sides. That way when you eventually upgrade your space, you'll have larger lights to use. The single tube ballasts also come with integrated reflectors which can be used with any HOT5 bulb. Also from what I understand the light intensity? on florescents whether HOT5 or regular T5 or whatnot is weaker on the ends.

FWIW all my single tubes are without refelectors, but they are approx 2-4" from the crowns of the trees. Since I only have 3 bulbs. Two 6400 and one UV, they run very cool and I've never had any leaf burn or curl or heat stress issues. Mind you I do have osscillating fans gowing and it's in my basement.

I have thought about doing just that, though the bonsai display would look strange with 6" of fixture sticking out of each side. I'm thinking I will just upgrade to a 4' shelving unit, but then I'll need larger boot trays and they are $25 each. Gotta pay to play I guess...

I'll order the 4' lights...($$$)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is an old shot of my setup, it would normally be in front of the window but the Christmas tree is there for now...

Bonsai Display.jpg
The sides are open and I'm also thinking should add some clip on fans for air circulation. I have an aphid problem so I frequently have to wrap the pots and dunk the Fukien Tea trees in warm soapy water to get rid of them, until they return, then rinse and repeat...(grumble, grumble)

Top Bottom