Looking for a book on azaleas

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm looking for a book on azaleas for bonsai that covers care, styling, pruning and such. I'm starting to like these little guys. I have several and just ordered 4 more of different varieties. Just wanting to learn a little more. Any suggestions? New or used will be fine as long as its readable.

D

Deleted member 32750

I have this book and i think it’s a good one. I bought from bonsaitonight.com but it’s out of stock there.

kekoa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Thanks for sharing this link! I’m curious to order a copy of this book!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have this book and i think it’s a good one. I bought from bonsaitonight.com but it’s out of stock there.

Grabbing a copy - thank you for the link!

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Ordered. I will give it a read.

Any other suggestions?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That book is really good, yet fairly advanced and focused on large satsuki. It’s definitely packed with good information and worth having in your library.

The best book for beginners that is still available at a reasonable price is Floral Treasures of Japan: Satsuki Azaleas by Kennedy, Alexander Hardback Book.

There is another good one by Janine Doste, Satsuki Bonsai, yet that one is from the EU and fairly pricey.due to that.

cheers
DSD sends

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That book is really good, yet fairly advanced and focused on large satsuki. It’s definitely packed with good information and worth having in your library.

The best book for beginners that is still available at a reasonable price is Floral Treasures of Japan: Satsuki Azaleas by Kennedy, Alexander Hardback Book.

There is another good one by Janine Doste, Satsuki Bonsai, yet that one is from the EU and fairly pricey.due to that.

cheers
DSD sends

Thanks. I ordered, Floral Treasures of Japan: Satsuki Azaleas, these 2 books should help out alot and keep me busy for a day or 2. After next payday I will try and order the other one.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw the pre-print galleys for an about-to-be published satsuki care bonsai book at the PBA show last weekend that looks very promising. The author is Rick Garcia, owner of the the North American Satsuki Bonsai Center in Washington state. He's a long time satsuki grower and seller. Looks to me to be one of the most thorough books on satsuki care. First volume of a two volume set is to be published in the coming weeks. You can get on the mailing list for publication notification here,(scroll down the page to the book section) as well as get a glimpse of some of the pages and see level of detail.

Last edited:

kekoa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A

Thanks for that recommendation. I just wanted to add that as of today (19 May 2022) the cheapest copy of that book that I could find is $115! Just an FYI to other readers here...

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s sad I actually checked availability prior to recommending Kennedy and I found two listings in stock. I see both sources are now out of stock. I suggest you keep checking periodically.

Btw Did you know we already have an Evergreen azalea resource here on BN?

cheers
DSD sends

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for that recommendation. I just wanted to add that as of today (19 May 2022) the cheapest copy of that book that I could find is $115! Just an FYI to other readers here...
Holy smokes i ordered on may 13th and was $42 on Amazon. Just looked and its $124. Glad I got it when I did.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Satsuki are getting more popular amongst hobbyists. So satsuki books are getting scarce presently. I saw 3 of these at Amazon.uk for about 30.00, yet they won’t deliver to US, at least not my address!

sorry
DSD sends

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just pre-ordered a copy of Rick Garcia's (North American Satsuki Bonsai Center) new satsuki development/care book. Not cheap, but given other satsuki bonsai books are going for triple that, a good buy.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I did also…. I was just getting ready to post this in the announcements.… which I will do now.
cheers
DSD sends

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before I place a pre order I would like to know release date. Don't see it anywhere on order site. Any ideas?

Update, I just sent an inquiry.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Before I place a pre order I would like to know release date. Don't see it anywhere on order site. Any ideas?

Update, I just sent an inquiry.
Last announcement on shipments said:

August 16, 2022 - Book is available and presale shipments commence

So I would guess within a week of 8/16 would be a decent shipment date.

btw Shipping to my place via media mail was 8.95.

cheers
DSD sends

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DSD has the latest. Shipping for me was $8.50

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just received response and ordered book. This was message received:

The book release is planned for August 16th. However, should it arrive at our fulfillment center sooner than expected, we will release sooner. With all of the complexities in the logistics system these days, we opted for a more conservative release date to ensure the book was in place.

As an FYI, we are now offering presales at the publisher web site (www.suikopress.com). Those who pre-order will have their books automatically sent as soon as the inventory hits the fulfillment center.

BTW, s&h was $8.50

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From the sound of Rick's FB post yesterday, sounds like this one may be sold out pretty quick. He said pre-sales have wildly exceeded his expectations, said he was "floored" by the response for pre-release orders for books. 😁

Top Bottom