Looking for a Cascade of advice

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Funny we have one in Full East/West sun here and I forgot about it, Blue Atlas Cedar - https://kiginursery.com/conifers/cedrus-atlantica-glauca-pendula-weeping-blue-atlas-cedar/. Seems to me it would need a fair amount of water potted as would Hemlock and Fir though.

Grimmy
I love those Grimmy! But, since losing trees at zone 5 in our landscape from that arctic spell...I won't plant anything unless it's a zone 4. But in a pot...with protection ... Could be done. Just gotta remember as Judy says. A tree in a pot loses one zone of protection. So a zone 5 tree in a pot would be bumped to a zone 6.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love those Grimmy! But, since losing trees at zone 5 in our landscape from that arctic spell...I won't plant anything unless it's a zone 4. But in a pot...with protection ... Could be done. Just gotta remember as Judy says. A tree in a pot loses one zone of protection. So a zone 5 tree in a pot would be bumped to a zone 6.

Thank you. I often forget how much different it is there then here although not far away by any means :oops:

The Inversa Norway Spruce would work there but rarely goes 4 foot. Weeping Alaskan Cedar may be the way to go but about the same height. There are taller like the Weeping Eastern White Pine but as I type this am thinking they all drop some needle and over a pond may be more trouble then a Weeping Cherry. Needles in a pump could be a real problem while Flower petal and/or leaf can be skimmed with a pool net easily. Now that opens up several more that can handle your weather - ARGH!

Grimmy

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Its a vanishing waterfall kit from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAfegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1MVCY0dHV5s_ozX7ux7HHt .

Appreciate the offer of the forum...but I don't have time for another forum. This was a one time gig...Our buddy with the heavy equipment...and a few other angles of the backyard. Showing the shallow area at the bottom.
View attachment 185385View attachment 185386View attachment 185387
Wow! That's awesome! I love the whole set up, puts mine to shame! Always thought about making a pondless feature but never really had a spot for one. That kit looks interesting. I understand about the other forum lol I'm barely on there anymore. Instead of soil wars they have filter wars lol looks great, especially the bench

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow! That's awesome! I love the whole set up, puts mine to shame! Always thought about making a pondless feature but never really had a spot for one. That kit looks interesting. I understand about the other forum lol I'm barely on there anymore. Instead of soil wars they have filter wars lol looks great, especially the bench
Thanks! I love all water features...I am sure yours is lovely.
? the stone bench is a favorite feature of mine. So thanks...

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Larch whip still young enough to wire down. Just potted in a pond basket. May not appreciate the full sun location. It does get some shade in late afternoon but...

Attachments

• IMG_20180407_154551470.jpg
    IMG_20180407_154551470.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Weeping larch.

As I mentioned if it were my pond with a filtration system the leaf of any "pine type" we refer to as needles would far more quickly introduce "pump and or filtration problems as they sink easily. Other "weepers" which have normal leaf and sometimes flora tend to drop "floating" debris easier to scoop off of the surface before causing pump/filter/electrical problems... Either way IMHO the latter of the two would be my personal choice.

Good luck finding one in good health - they exist but normally take 2 growing seasons in the ground to establish. That being said it would take 5 years or more to have a happy one in a rather large pot... Not an argument, just realistic approach to the situation ;)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As I mentioned if it were my pond with a filtration system the leaf of any "pine type" we refer to as needles would far more quickly introduce "pump and or filtration problems as they sink easily. Other "weepers" which have normal leaf and sometimes flora tend to drop "floating" debris easier to scoop off of the surface before causing pump/filter/electrical problems... Either way IMHO the latter of the two would be my personal choice.

Good luck finding one in good health - they exist but normally take 2 growing seasons in the ground to establish. That being said it would take 5 years or more to have a happy one in a rather large pot... Not an argument, just realistic approach to the situation ;)

Grimmy
I guess...I am still seeing this in the ground. Making a larger statement. I keep forgetting he is wanting in a pot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I’m in Ohio but near Cincinnati. Very interested and in your thread. Your entire landscape is gorgeous! Just stunning.
I have this growing in my side yard and though I’m unsure of what type of pine it is....
52B1E0BF-59D6-4951-B4E4-7CAB81395281.jpeg686DF05D-967F-4071-9DC5-E8EAAD5EDEF5.jpeg52B1E0BF-59D6-4951-B4E4-7CAB81395281.jpeg686DF05D-967F-4071-9DC5-E8EAAD5EDEF5.jpeg8870D89F-40CA-45B1-8AAA-EF7DA4E8E97B.jpegD6C65D1F-67F1-47F4-8BC0-FDD0BF9C7CF9.jpeg
I’m definitely considering digging it up to use as bonsai. It seems to have a cascading start at the base and could probably be air layered into a cascade by a professional.
It’s wintered well here one half zone below yours. If we could identify it perhaps this would be an option for you? Or have you chosen your specimen yet? How do we offer winter protection to our outdoor trees? What else do you have growing outside there? Sorry for giving more questions than answers.
With a landscape as exquisite as your own, I’m certain you will choose the perfect tree to match your gardens needs.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Japanese alpine willow. Salix nakamurana (yezo) alpina(spell?). Hardy, naturally ground hugger, cascading;). Pretty round leaves.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am not very knowledgable on pine. I would defer to what Mike says though. He knows more about it than I.

One of the best direction I was given with this hobby was..."Most all trees can slide under bonsai by some aspect...but not all should." Bones...the trunk of a tree makes one enjoy developing. You have good bones and it only gets better. I personally wouldn't waist my time in that material. Remember bonsai is built from the ground up... Nebari,taper/trunk, and movement. One can always create a canopy. Bonsai are basically found in that lower section of tree. Which yours has absolutely no foliage what so ever where it's needed. I think material like this...for a new person in the hobby...just brings disappointment. Find something that will offer you "more". Let this stay in the ground.l.it looks good there. Better than your pot. ?

Enjoy your journey!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome Crizzi,
I have started a large wisteria which was growing up the side of the neighbors shed. He wanted it gone so... It does flower unlike my small young one which hasn't yet. Not a great trunk but it looks better here than the dumpster for now. Very long straight sections. I wired a couple branches just to see how it took but didn't want to stress the thing any harder. It is perking up and hoping for back buds further up the shoots I can cut back to. I'll get a pic up here later today. I still think I want an evergreen of some sort very cold hardy I can leave out most of the winter. Zone3-4ish. I'm still in search of something else.

Very kind of you to offer up your pine. Thanks but you should keep it. I think it looks interesting at the base and if it would backbud could be very cool. Maybe cut back the top to let light into the interior at the proper time and see what happens. I'm far from professional and this is only my 3rd season at bonsai, so I then to "try anything" once. You don't always have to follow the path but, I've found these guys are usually right in the end.

I’m in Ohio but near Cincinnati. Very interested and in your thread. Your entire landscape is gorgeous! Just stunning.
This made my chest puff up until I realized all these pics in this thread are of Cadillac's landscape (which is stunning). I have been working hard on mine again this year but... none posted here but my avatar. LOL
Here are a few in an inspiring thread by Mach. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-garden-share-yours.30782/page-4#post-516862

Japanese alpine willow. Salix nakamurana (yezo) alpina(spell?). Hardy, naturally ground hugger, cascading;). Pretty round leaves.
That looks like a nice tree to attempt and I thank you for the suggestion. I did some google on it.

Top Bottom